Trophy Search

I've been trying my best to keep track of which trophies have been awarded to which teams, which is really easy when it comes to Major League Baseball, the National Football League, and the National Hockey League. However, I'm finding it incredibly difficult to figure out the history of awards when it comes to other places, as information seems to be remarkably stark. Here's a few that are troubling me, but anyone who has similar requests are welcome to bring their own questions here.

NBA: The Walter A. Brown Trophy and the Larry O'Brien Championship Trophy are well documented, but I'm having trouble finding any information whatsoever on the conference championship trophies. Currently these silver trophies are offered, but I can't find any information on when they began being the awarded trophy. I know, however, that they weren't always around. In searching for something, I stumbled upon this conference trophy from the 70's that is up for auction. Anyone know anything about the history of NBA conference trophies?

MLS: I've seen conference championship trophies, but before the conferences were created, when there were divisions, were there any trophies awarded for winning them?

NCAA: This is one of the more perplexing examples. NCAA national championships that are not football-related have gone through a number of changes and I can't find any information on timelines for when these were offered. I've thus far found three different trophies and just now found a fourth one that makes things even more confused. Does anyone know anything about the dates for each, and whether or not anything predated this style?

I've had similar issues with the Big 10 Basketball Championship.

Any assistance you guys could give would be greatly appreciated, and, as I said, any other similar requests are welcome.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The current trophy for the NCAA is that 2010 one. The former is the second style which was only around for a few years and then the third one was one that was around for a while. That fourth one is a conference championship trophy.

Thanks, man. I was starting to think this thread would sink without any responses whatsoever. I'm gonna have to investigate to see if I can get exact numbers, although I'm disturbed to find that it seems some sports moved forward to new trophies while some waited a few more years. I might just end up fudging everything.

The fourth trophy was a conference trophy? That's a load off. The caption just said NCAA Women's Basketball championship, so I was concerned.

Thanks a lot! I hope to get more help, especially with the NBA, which I'm currently working on.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived