Tomahawk Logo - Update #2 >> January 30 (Uniform Mockups added)

timberwolf

Hello everyone,

Man, it’s gotten so much easier to post with the new updates.

This hatchet logo was the first sketch and then computerize logo I’ve ever done and it’s been through a process. This thread was inspired by @hettinger_rl‘s thread on his bison logo (which is quite good, check it out!).

image.thumb.png.191cf22a3b28565f28bf3a70

The logo started out as something to fiddle with during art class when I was in grade 9. The idea was a Chicago Blackhawks alternate. I soon came to terms with this site and discovered that my logo was far off from what I needed it to be. I did a lot of sketches, most of which are lost and forgotten. I recovered one earlier this year and computerized it, and sent it out on Twitter. After receiving advice, I went for round two. This is the fourth draft of the logo I’ve completed and I think it’s time I finished this thing. Above is the sketch, and the past versions of the mark, and the current one (#4). Here are the updates in a word fashion;

Draft 1>2

• Rounded off back edge for more of a tomahawk look

• Cut off half of handle for a shadowed look

Draft 2>3

• Added rope/handles

• Added shadows on rock and handle

Draft 3>4

• Made rock shadowing more jagged and accurate

• Added feather detail and stems

And here are the images….

image.png.c684d8eb845afcec5cf040c0424220 

image.png.a35ac6c2f3bed4f9539ede9a28a479image.png.e3561e7874758d3f8fb4f56b70ccf6image.png.f9db4034d4aa05ee53326bfc9ef5bd

AND some alternate colour choices for the logo…

image.png.e7e585849a3af9e55c8389703cec3d 

image.thumb.png.763078f55d8c40b401b9cfbc

Keep in mind…this isn’t a Blackhawks concept…that was just my first thought of it.

Please leave C+C! This has been a three-month, off-and-on project.

1. It looks like a Blackhawks concept!

2. The shadow on the handle is too harsh. Looks like it's two-toned. 

3. I'm not even sure it's identifiable as a tomahawk. I'm not getting a blade vibe from it. Looks more like a mallet. Or a club of some sort.

1 hour ago, rjrrzube said:

1. It looks like a Blackhawks concept!

2. The shadow on the handle is too harsh. Looks like it's two-toned. 

3. I'm not even sure it's identifiable as a tomahawk. I'm not getting a blade vibe from it. Looks more like a mallet. Or a club of some sort.

1. Yeah I guess that I can go with the BHawks vibe...

2. I know what you mean, any suggestions on how to improve it?

3. I'll work on the shaping and stuff, I knew that was an issue from the start...

Yes, I think that looks better. It's still missing something but I can't really put my finger but I also think once you add whatever it is that it's missing, you'll really have something that looks sharp. Good concept so far and seeing it in the Blackhawks colors make it look like a great alternate!

12 hours ago, BayouJim said:

Yes, I think that looks better. It's still missing something but I can't really put my finger but I also think once you add whatever it is that it's missing, you'll really have something that looks sharp. Good concept so far and seeing it in the Blackhawks colors make it look like a great alternate!

I'm thinking I should edit the feathers a bit. Now that the hatchet is on a slant....

Thanks for the comments, I'll mess around with it today.

Okay here's another update. I added some strings to the top and edited the circle in the middle to replicate the one in the Blackhawks logo. Not sure if I like it too much. Here's the logo and the Blackhawks one beside it for comparison (I did edit the Hawks one slightly to have more in common with my alternate)....

image.png

image.png

Archived