Your earliest memories of branding quirks

2001mark

I think of this sometimes whenever I see a schoolbus.  I rode a Travelways bus during grade 1, then grade 2 they became Stock branded, & I felt like I was riding a bastardized version of what I knew.  I was 6-7yrs old of course, yet it's one of those utterly nonsensical, impressionable things at an impressionable time one keeps.

The Travelways wordmark was italicized black with a sort of bird shaped underline (beak at the front, the underline its tail).  The stupid Stock buses were just standard all caps with zero charisma.  

My earliest toy recollections were probably Hot Wheels vs Matchbox.  That must've been the very first toy branding war I was immersed in.  Hot Wheels branding seemed more progressive & attractive (including they rolled smoother), & yet Matchbox while such a boring brand, seemed more intricate & upscale somehow.  

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

my first favorite football team was the Dallas Cowboys. i was probably 6 when i decided they had the coolest helmet, and were my team for a while

anything that was related to TNMT or Power Rangers. i loved the shows, but it was the toys that i liked the most. which one you chose as your favorite probably says a lot about you as a kid. my favorite Ranger was the green ranger because he had a different look, was a bad guy (at first)and that was cool, and his zord was a dragon. he was a total boss!

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

8 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

my favorite Ranger was the green ranger because he had a different look, was a bad guy (at first)and that was cool, and his zord was a dragon. he was a total boss!

My childhood right there. He's still kicking ass in real life though.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

On 25/03/2016 at 0:08 PM, 2001mark said:

Hot Wheels vs Matchbox.

I might be remembering wrong, but I recall both of them using the "Leading the Way" slogan at some point.

As far as branding wars go, the first one I was really aware of was the Nintendo/Sega/PlayStation melee a troi. My first console was a Sega Master System II, and then come 1997 I almost got a PlayStation for Christmas before deciding I wanted the Nintendo 64 instead, recognising Mario from the cartoon show. I was always a big Sonic fan too, through his own cartoons and Sonic the Comic, and was pretty excited when he started appearing on Nintendo consoles.

11 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

my favorite Ranger was the green ranger because he had a different look, was a bad guy (at first)and that was cool, and his zord was a dragon. he was a total boss!

Mine was Red Ranger. He pretty much made red my favourite colour. And his Zord was a Mother F***in' T-rex that later turned into a flying Red Dragon.

Also, Austin St John turned out to be a pretty awesome guy in real life too :D

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

13 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Mine was Red Ranger. He pretty much made red my favourite colour. And his Zord was a Mother F***in' T-rex that later turned into a flying Red Dragon.

Also, Austin St John turned out to be a pretty awesome guy in real life too :D

lol! you know, thinking on this some more, when Tommy became the white ranger, that :censored: blew my mind! i liked him even more then because he by far had the coolest look. white, gold, and black with the awesome vest and talking tiger sword!! black and white is probably my favorite color combo today and i wouldnt be surprised if that has something to do with the white ranger

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

4 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

lol! you know, thinking on this some more, when Tommy became the white ranger, that :censored: blew my mind! i liked him even more then because he by far had the coolest look. white, gold, and black with the awesome vest and talking tiger sword!! black and white is probably my favorite color combo today and i wouldnt be surprised if that has something to do with the white ranger

Speaking of Black and gold, I'll always think of Jason as the Red Ranger, but he was pretty kickass as the Gold Ranger on Zeo too.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

One thing would likely be the different shaped glass bottles that pop came in 1970s when I was a kid.  The dimpled sprite bottle, the ribbed fanta bottles, etc.  Don't notice or care as much now about the shape of the plastic bottles.

Not sure if it was some deficiency in my education or the ubiquitous nature of the branding but for quite a while as a youth certain words I only knew as the brand and not the meaning of the words from which they came.  Paramount only meant a movie company, Pinnacle was just the name of a company that made golf balls.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

Archived