Portland Winterhawks/Rosebuds Mashup Concept

Frylock

This has been floating around my mind for some time, more or less since 2014 when the Winterhawks held celebrate 100 years of hockey in Portland. Their tribute/special event jersey fell flat, much like so many of their one-off jerseys, in my not so humble opinion. So I figured, why not try something myself. And here it is, with some back story.

The Portland Rosebuds wore a few different style sweaters in their short lifespan. Most people are familiar with the blue sweater with the rosebud shield crest. But they also wore this little gem:

1680555019_98bff3e852_b.jpg

According to some websites that sell knock-offs, they were allegedly dark blue and white.

So, my take on this classic design utilizes the Hawks' black and red color scheme, and incorporates many of the touches from the Rosebuds sweater.

2016 pwhretro2.png

Naturally, the team and league logos would have to appear somewhere, so I stuck them on the shoulders as to be as unobtrusive as possible. I'd prefer them not to be anywhere at all! And yes, I know I'm missing the CHL logo on the hem. I'm gonna be lazy and just leave it off!

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Love it! I 100% agree that their one off jerseys (and alternates more recently, looking at you eyes jerseys) have fallen flat. This is a great combo of old and new and would look great as a special throwback. I'd love to get that word mark on a shirt. Nice work, sir.

SEAsig.png

Archived