Field and Uniform Template for possible Driveball reboot

neo_prankster

I hinted a while back that I might do a Driveball reboot, but I could never figure out a good starting point. I didn't like how the game grew so fast in so little time in my original thread. I'll probably have it start maybe in the US or Canada, probably some time after the famous McGill vs Harvard game from 1874, and have the Australian and Irish influences be incorporated over time.

For those of you who are brand new to the forums, Driveball is a fictional sport I made up that takes Aussie Rules and Gaelic football, combined with the forward pass from American and Canadian. So basically, it's a hybrid football code. Scoring is similar to International Rules (Aussie/Gaelic). Like most other team sports, the object is the same: score more points than your opponent, and you win.

The game is played with two teams with 14 players a side at any one time.

Players consist of...

One Goalie

Five Defenders

Three Midfielders

Five Attackers

Here's how scoring works...

international-rules-goal.png

The ball is similar in size to an Aussie ball with any modifications that may be necessary for forward passing. The ball can be thrown forward, lateraled or fist balled, but kicking is only allowed when attempting a free kick or score. You're allowed to hold the ball for 6 steps or 15 yards depending on jurisdiction, before you must solo the ball to retain possession, pass to a teammate or attempt to score. Unlike American/Canadian football where you get 3-4 downs, if you are tackled once with ball in hand, possession is awarded to your opponent. Basically, you gotta stay on your feet, keep the ball circulating and away from the opposing team to maintain a drive.

AFL.jpg

Here's a template for uniforms for the modern day. The helmet is basically a hockey or hurling helmet with added face protection, and the uniforms are basically jerseys and shorts normally worn for lacrosse.

WOta1uF.png

Here is the field, like lacrosse, the field is supposed to be divided into three zones: Defense, Midfield and Attack. The circles in the attack and defense zones are for scrums used for restarting play after a minor penalty or tackle. The two lines are either side of the center circle are known as quarter lines. Midfielders are allowed to roam the field as the wish. You're allowed only nine players in the defense or attack zones. A tenth player to cross the quarter line into either zone will be called offsides, resulting in a scrum to restart. The large arc is for free kicks and the smaller arc is for penalty shots. The crease inside the smaller arc is the sole domain of the goalie, and if your teammate is in the crease, your score attempt will not count.

sgxzDnu.png

C&C and other rules suggestions welcome.

How large is this field going to be? And I like the goal setup, but I’m assuming the free kicks are easy to obtain (thinking Aussie rules football). I think the template is a touch too boxy, try to smooth that out and drop some field lines. I’d be more interested in seeing modern designs than “classic” ones, but a great start nonetheless.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

34 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

How large is this field going to be? And I like the goal setup, but I’m assuming the free kicks are easy to obtain (thinking Aussie rules football). I think the template is a touch too boxy, try to smooth that out and drop some field lines. I’d be more interested in seeing modern designs than “classic” ones, but a great start nonetheless.

At a minimum the field should fit within the boundaries of an American football field, from goal line to goal line, excluding the football end zones. The goal setup is lined up so that the nets protrude inside each of the football end zones. That way that extra space behind the goal setup could allow more room for soccer style perimeter ads, security guards, media, cheerleaders, mascot, etc.

Bump. Here's a better explanation of the rules as if it were one of those Ninh Explains videos...

Driveball is a hybrid football code that combines Australian Rules and Gaelic football with the forward pass from American football (aka gridiron). The game is played by two teams of 35 with 14 players taking to the field at any one time.

On the field, each team consists of...
DEFENSIVE ZONE:
1 Goalie
1 Fullback (or Middle Guard)
2 Halfbacks
2 Guards (closest to the quarter line)

MIDFIELD
1 Center
2 Wings

ATTACK ZONE:
1 Full Forward
2 Half Forwards
1 Nickel Forward (or Split End)
1 Dime Forward (or Flanker)

Driveball is played on a rectangular field at a maximum of 340 feet by 160 feet, although the size can be adjusted to fit within the floor space of any stadium. Still, players are required to have plenty of stamina to cover so much ground.

The quarter lines are marked at what would normally be the 25 yard lines in American football or between the 27 and 28 yard lines on a Canadian field. The halfway line is generally marked along the 50 yard line in the US or the 55 in Canada. The center circle, where every game begins, is 22 yards in perimeter. The restart circles are 10 yards in perimeter.

The field is divided in to three zones, defensive, midfield and attack. The direction a team must take to advance the ball in to the opposing goal is determined via coin toss.

The game starts with a bounce off in the center circle on the halfway line. The object of the game is for your team to score more points than the opposing team. To score, a player can kick, fist-ball like in Aussie rules, or throw the ball past the goalkeeper for a goal worth 6 points. A ball that is thrown, or kicked and flies over the crossbar earns a 3 point over. Between the long goal post and the shorter post earns a behind for just one point.

The game is played in 35 minute halves for a combined playing time of 70 minutes, and the team with the most points as time expires wins.

Defense can be played by…
-    Tackling
-    Blocking shots
-    Pushing ball carriers out of bounds
-    Intercepting passes
-    Stripping the ball from the ball carrier.

Unlike in American football, where you have four downs to advance the ball, a single tackle ends the drive. The opponent may then attempt a free kick. So to advance the ball, your team must be able to stay on their feet and keep the ball circulating in order to score. A ball carrier can run six steps before he must pass to a teammate, though he may solo the ball (dribble off a foot or knee) if he wants to retain possession. 

Unlike in Aussie rules, rugby union or rugby league, you are allowed to pass the ball forward by throwing it over or underhand, but kicking is only allowed when taking a free kick and attempting to score. If a player drops a pass, the ball is still live and either team are free to recover it.

Substitutions are made via rotation like in basketball. Subs can be made between whistles and in case of an injury or ejection.

Fouls:
-    Tackling is permitted, but only between the shoulders and knees. Contact to the head, above the shoulder pads, or below the knees is stricly prohibited.
-    Gamesmanship or “flopping” results in a personal foul. Three personal fouls results in ejection.
-    A score can be waived off if an attacking team’s player steps in to the goal crease.
-    Delay of game results in loss of possession.
-    Games cannot end on a penalty against the defending team. An attacking team can attempt a score, free kick or penalty shot after the final siren.

When a team is awarded a free kick, the ball is to be teed up along the arc.

Penalty shots/Penalty kicks are made at the penalty arc. A player can try to throw the goalie off balance by a pump fake or a stutter step. Penalty shots can be punted, handballed or thrown. Should the goalie block the penalty attempt, his team is awarded a single rouge point.

Once a team advances the ball past the quarter line in to the attack zone, they have 35 seconds to attempt a score. Failure to shoot in the allotted 35 seconds results in a shot clock violation.

Restarting play.
-    After a score, the goalie can inbound the ball by throwing to one of the guards, or punting to a teammate in the midfield or attack zone.
-    Scrums are awarded after a tackle, an incomplete pass or when the ball bounces out of bounds. Scrums in Driveball are more like line outs in rugby. Players line up inside smaller circles on the quarter lines, known as scrum circles. The ball is then inbounded by a player on the team that did not touch the ball last.

Archived