Improving Men's USA Basketball

JamesCraven

but just about everybody on that team is a Top 30 players in the world.

The difference between the other dream teams and this one is that the rest had people who could shoot

How could any of them be top 30 players in the world, if they can't shoot? I think in general you've got some really good points. But it's that kind of attitude ( the, "We're better even though we can't prove it.") that has the world and half of America rooting against these guys. We're not better. Lets face that. There are plenty of NBAers on other countries teams who are doing fine with the whole shooting and collapsing zone thing. I think its more likely that our NBAers dont know what to do when travelling and fouling are *gasp* actually called. They're games revolve around carrying the ball, initiating BS contact and getting away with it. Take those things away and add to that the fact that we couldnt make a 20ft 3pt shot to save our lives and these outcomes are not surprising. We're not better.

It's ok to get punched in the mouth, learn a lesson and rededicate. That's what we need to do. Get insulted, relearn what we invented, and prepare to dominate in 2008.

But champions don't whine...and thats mostly what everyone involved is doing.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

I think apopointing a full time coach is no bad idea. Give him control of picking the players he wants, so he can pick players to fit the system he wants to fit the system he wants. (Also he may be able to convince more of the stars to turn out!)

Really really if the US took the national team seriously they shouldn't be challenged. I hope most of the players in the NBA are hanging there heads in shame, especially those who chose not to turn out.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

but just about everybody on that team is a Top 30 players in the world.

The difference between the other dream teams and this one is that the rest had people who could shoot

How could any of them be top 30 players in the world, if they can't shoot? I think in general you've got some really good points. But it's that kind of attitude ( the, "We're better even though we can't prove it.") that has the world and half of America rooting against these guys. We're not better. Lets face that. There are plenty of NBAers on other countries teams who are doing fine with the whole shooting and collapsing zone thing. I think its more likely that our NBAers dont know what to do when travelling and fouling are *gasp* actually called. They're games revolve around carrying the ball, initiating BS contact and getting away with it. Take those things away and add to that the fact that we couldnt make a 20ft 3pt shot to save our lives and these outcomes are not surprising. We're not better.

It's not that our individual players aren't better, it's just that they don't fit into a team aspect as good. There was an awful job in selecting which players to represent us, and by the best players -- I mean they're better at doing what they do for a career in the NBA (Slashing to the hoop, etc.) than anybody else in the world and the NBA is the standard that all good players are held to.

The younger players have "evolved" the game into something different than was seen with the earliest Dream Teams and the players involved. The quality of play hasn't gotten any worse, it's just changed with a whole new generation, perhaps inspired by playing street ball or what have you. The International players aren't any better, that is shown in cases like Tskitishvili (or however you spell it) of the Denver Nuggets. He was thought to be one of the best Europeans at the time because he flat out dominated the league he played in. He then comes to the NBA to play and puts up pathetic showings. He then plays in summer leagues against sub-par NBA players and lights it up and gets 25+ ppg.

I don't think you can judge players based on how they fit into a different "leagues" system, with different rules and game plans of sorts. Just because defenses can play a collapsable zone, which kind of puts a limit on Tim Duncans ability, does that mean he's not one of the two best players in the game?

Just because the defenses can force Allen Iverson to have to play his weaknesses, does that take anything away from the fact that he alone made the 76ers a contender for so many years with very little support?

Just because they take away a Carmelo's or Dwayne Wade's strengths by putting them up against a zone defense, which they rarely face in the NBA, does that make their accomplishments or ability any less?

The rest of the world is not catching up to the United States in basketball, and if they are, they're doing so very slowly. The United States' game will continue to evolve, and make International success harder to achieve, but I guarentee you that if the US' players had to play in games constantly where the mid to long-range shot was as prominent as in International play, they would adjust, and they would be able to shoot better. I, for one, don't expect these guys to change the style of basketball they play so that they'll be prepared for an International Tournament every 4 years.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived