USPHL Overhaul (Ogden Added)

BurdBranding

19 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

For Provo I think you should replace the light green with the light blue, making all 3 waves the same color, and change the color of "Provo" to one of the other 3 colors (mountains, "Riverblades", top and bottom wave).

For Provo I wanted to get rid of the whole thing. It looked like it was put together as fast as possible with some bad explanations behind the meaning of the logo to justify the mess. Here is where I am at right now with the Provo Riverblades. What do we think?

spacer.png

After @sportsfan7 so nicely complimented the colors, I naturally made more changes. As a logo, I agree about the previous colors, but when put on the jersey the teal/foam/navy felt so much better. So here it is.

Provo Riverblades

spacer.png

A new team! A clean slate! Anddddddd...... woof. This is a lot for a logo and, although I appreciate the team for somehow doing Niketalk with clipart, this has to be the worst logo in the USPHL. What is a Riverblade? Don't ask me, I only do the design. All I got from the name involves a knife used for fishing, maybe? Well, I ran with that. Although I do not have proper knowledge when it comes to knifes, I found a shape I liked that would stick to the team's original "R" while also working with my idea. The thought was simply to have a knife coming through a "P" (for Provo), creating an "R" (for Riverblades). While I am not 100% happy with it, I can definitely say it is better than the original and that is the goal of the thread.

spacer.png

While the team is a mess, their color options to choose from are awesome, there are just too many. I dropped baby blue and kept the teal/foam/navy because I felt the three still represented mountains/forest/water enough on their own. What I made mirrors the jerseys the team presented, but, again, simplifies the whole look. I liked the fade from dark to light a lot, it feels like movement running down the jersey. Like a stream or... I'll stop before I start doing the symbolism thing.  

C&C is more than welcome!

Clever logo, and clean, simple jerseys, which is definitely meant as a positive.

I've got no real authority to talk about logo design, so I will anyways: Did you try any versions with the knife "flipped"? As in, the tip points more to the right rather than down, not as in the hilt is at the bottom and the blade at the top. It feels like having the blade curve that direction instead could make the "R" a little more natural.

20 hours ago, WLD42 said:

Clever logo, and clean, simple jerseys, which is definitely meant as a positive.

I've got no real authority to talk about logo design, so I will anyways: Did you try any versions with the knife "flipped"? As in, the tip points more to the right rather than down, not as in the hilt is at the bottom and the blade at the top. It feels like having the blade curve that direction instead could make the "R" a little more natural.

I actually tried this my first go at the updated logo. I had two problems with it: 1. The hilt made it feel so top heavy. 2. My brain couldn't accept the idea of the knife going in at that angle. I know it really doesn't matter for a logo, but the one I landed on felt like a natural motion for a knife stabbing downwards into something. With the blade facing the other way it makes me uncomfortable just knowing how awkward it be for a human to do that. 

Then again, that is just my thoughts. Maybe, it is a better option. What does everyone think?

spacer.png

Guest darkpiranha

I think the blade needs some sort of separation inside the R.  The shades of the two colors are so close they blend together a bit.  Maybe just a darker blade edge on the bottom starting at the handle.  

13 minutes ago, darkpiranha said:

I think the blade needs some sort of separation inside the R.  The shades of the two colors are so close they blend together a bit.  Maybe just a darker blade edge on the bottom starting at the handle.  

How's this?

spacer.png

Guest darkpiranha
21 minutes ago, TheHealthiestScratch said:

How's this?

spacer.png

More an a visible darker edge along the blade.  Like in this image
Kitchen knife emoji flat vector design

While we continue to tweak Provo to get them where they need to be, let's finish off Utah with the....

Ogden Mustangs

spacer.png

Ogden is another one of those special teams for me. I played in Utah the year after my tryouts in Fresno, and got to practice with this team a lot. Other than 19-21 year olds messing with a kid 4-6 years younger than them, it was an experience I loved. During the time, Ogden had a nice look with more traditional striping, and an alt that looked like the Washington Caps throwback with the "W" on it. Since then, the Mustangs have become a mess, turning into one big junior hockey trend. Because of this, I decided to completely flip them to the other side, creating a traditional, vintage identity. For the logo, I put a mustang on its hind legs in front of an "O" that is based off the "O" they used on the old alt jersey I mentioned, it is meant to double as a shield to give the mustang more bulk. I also dropped their silver and emphasized a more vibrant shade of red.

spacer.png

Seriously guys, when I say junior hockey mess I mean it. Here's a list of their current problems: 1. A quirky light gray instead of a white jersey.  2. The pants for those gray jerseys are also gray.  3. Fun little knee cap logos.  4. Some random inconsistencies in striping.  5. Giant block "OGDEN".... I'll just show their most recent jersey reveal at the end of the post. Anyway, here is what I did for them. The home is a bulkier double band that was inspired by the Buffalo Sabres Winter Classic jersey from 2018. I let them keep a little bit of their modern self by giving a shoulder stripe, but nothing too crazy. The white is just a color swap, keeping the stripes how they were on the other jersey. I think this might be my favorite uniform pair so far.

Oh, and here's what I promised.

spacer.png

I'll also add this in the same post to not clutter up the thread.

spacer.png

Archived