Revisiting the California Soccer League! (SERIES FINALE)

TheGiantsFan

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off the bat (haha get it?), when you say digital life to the Alton Baseball League does that include the incredible stadiums, too? If so, you're one crazy SOB and I can't wait to see that.

Congrats on completing a VERY large project. The collection of California teams is gorgeous, making me wish they existed in our reality. I really appreciate the shoutout, I didn't realize my feedback had such high value here. Atm, I don't think I deserved the shoutout considering my last feedback posted was 3 months ago, sharing how I found your frog logo inspirational, haha.

That being said, there is no time like the present to catch up on missed time. Here's some feedback from page 8 all the way to the end (wow I missed a lot). I don't know if all these looks are final or not, so I might just be blowing air with this post! Either way, it is still a fun analysis that shows how much I enjoyed this thread.

(I don't know if I'll touch on every team. I will try to keep it to the highs and lows.)

Arrowhead SC:

Logo - I think you knocked the Atlas FC approach out of the park, but I personally really dislike how the purples and black outline blends. Thankfully, this is the only place where it bothers me enough to mention it.

Jerseys - The clash kit is slick. I think it should be promoted to Home status.

The Valley SC:

Logo - Phoenix's "The Valley" identity does not compare to this. They should be embraced. I love the colors and inspiration, but a lot is going on here. I think it might be the grid that is pushing it over the edge for me. 

Jerseys - Same thing as the logo. Very busy, but I love the colors. The clash is totally wicked.

Clovis SC:

Logo - The horseshoe is a modern classic. Gorgeous.

Jerseys - The amount of brown on the clash makes me realize I am not in love with the olive shade that was picked, but that is a small complaint. I am not a fan of tan and white in the same place at the same time, but I do like the idea for the home.

Delta Union:

Logo - Woohoo, a NorCal team! I can finally fully appreciate the research you did for a team because I am very familiar with the area. Using the sandhill crane as a team symbol is so unique and feels very football (in line with European teams using Canaries or Magpies). I wish the crane's wing broke the diamond shield holding it in, just to give more depth, but that is me trying to find something constructive enough to help you as a designer. Other than that, I love it.

Delanteros CF:

Logo - Shame you didn't keep the Dayton lookalike. Even if it is similar, I think that adds to the original logo. Lower level teams in any sports do not have the financial stability to construct a full, 100% unique identity, so I thought the original was actually more authentic. The new logo is still good, though. The head is a little sharp for my taste. I think it would look good if the team opted to use only the "D" crest and bottom two wings from the logo as a secondary, used as the crest on the Clash kit.

Jerseys - I love the Home kit. The colors are so aggressive and the hoops find nice balance.

SC Gilroy:

Logo - Maybe I am being critical because I am from South San Jose, but I just can't convince myself to like the logo. There isn't much you can do with garlic, but it is Gilroy... so you need garlic. Maybe try a college style walking garlic mascot? I'm not sure how to help.

Jerseys - Clash is superb. Think I'd use the Home shorts with them, but I think the green is quirky and fun too.

Sporting 626:

Logo - The sash on this logo is too unique to skip. The colors are eye catching, and the overall identity draws the viewer in. That is a huge success considering you are working with only a number. 

Vintage Napa Valley:

Logo - This name is so snobby, I can't get enough. The monogram captures the aesthetic of wine companies perfectly. So well that I caught on to the inspiration before reading your explanation. Classy mark that gives the team a "high-status" vibe. 

Jersey - The creative/fun wine cork pattern seems off-brand when comparing it to the logo, but I think it looks great. The Clash, on the other hand, has a bit much gnarly green for me.

SC Vandenberg:

Jerseys - The clash is perfect. I would buy one immediately. Only suggestion I'd make is recoloring it to match the club, then promoting it to Home status.

Tri-Valley Athletic:

Logo - No need to spend much time here. Just wanted to say that I really like the classic clover logo and the subtle Tri-Valley nods that come with it. The double green is gorgeous, and I wish we saw more of it throughout the identity.

La Jolla SC:

Logos - Taking a moment on this one to let you know that you missed out on another perfect opportunity to use a secondary mark as the crest on the kits. That "LJ" in the crest deserves some spotlight. I'd drop everything around it and enlarge the "LJ" just to slap it on one of the jerseys.

Oakdale SC:

Logo - Love the simplicity of the horse, and the color palette. 

Jerseys - I'd use both of these 50/50. The way that the red pops on the Home is so nice, and the soft colored gradient on the clash is mesmerizing.

Santa Clara Sporting:

It is so like this city to base their history around a different successful franchise. Like, you have a WHOLE county, Santa Clara. I am not sure this is the right direction. The gold shorts on the Home kits are nice, though.

Half Moon Bay SC:

Logo: Just wanted to say that I appreciate the simple "HMB".

Real Santa Ana:

Logo - These colors are REAL nice. I think the stained glass look is solid, even if that wasn't the intent of the design.

Jerseys - Love them just for the vibrant colors.

New Albion SC of Marin:

Logo - I back this team mostly because their name is a mouthful. You did a great job of fitting it on the crest without it feeling awkward. Just a solid, traditional football logo overall.

Jerseys - The Home kit is stunning. Love the red/yellow accents.

Ojai Sporting:

Logo - I have always loved the idea of having beautiful pieces of architecture in logos. The way you simplified the post office tower is perfect. Not too complicated, but gives enough to showcase the city's monument. 

Pomona AC:

Logo - Just another logo I appreciate because of the simplicity. The soccer ball columns are very fun, and the colors remind me how much I like the green/silver/white palette. Wish it was used more in sports.

Morgan Hill SC:

Again, I am from South San Jose. Like.... way South San Jose. My family is also originally from Morgan Hill (Fun fact: I am pretty sure my great-great grandpa was the first sheriff there, or something like that. Don't quote me! I said fun fact!). That being said, I hold this team close. 

Logo - I don't know if it was intentional, but the crest looks very similar to a cattle brand. If this isn't intentional, what a happy little hidden nod to the city's agricultural history! It pairs great with the horns in the logo. The hidden acorn/crest in the background is sure to put a smile on the Live Oak alumni in my family. Definitely an identity that shows tremendous care and respect for the city and its people.

Jerseys - I've taken up enough space for this team, so I'll just say the Home kit slaps. The white looks odd with the lighter orange/yellow, but I wouldn't know what to use instead.

Frogtown SC:

Logo – This frog has so much more to say than the croaks it gives, what a mysterious, charming little fella. I think the team is top tier, but the “S” and “C” protruding from the sides of the oval feels awkward.

Jerseys – The Home is PERFECT, I would buy it in a heartbeat. The Clash is PERFECT, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Both are very unique, and I find the Clash very charming.

Sacrament East:

Logo – The hexagon / bee identity is gorgeous and the colors only aid the visual, but I feel the weird, maroon outline shield spoils the brand. I’d drop it and just opt for embracing the hexagon! Here’s my pitch for an odd idea that would be unique: Replace the athletic gold with a gold flake look. It would elevate the class while also standing out in a very congested league! I hope I convinced you.

Feather River SC:

I just appreciate the shade of orange. Reminds me of something close to California’s signature “International Orange”. 

Burbank 97:

Logo – I can’t get enough of this team’s name, I love it. Also, really like your tweak on the city’s seal. Rounding it really changed it for the better. The subtle framing of “Burbank” with a film pattern keeps the theme without going overboard, like most content creators tend to do when it comes to the glam of… um… “Burbank”.

Richmond Riveters:

Logo – Fun name with great inspiration, and a solid identity built around it. Again, that “RR” could hold its own as a crest on one of the jerseys (sorry, I know you’re probably getting tired of hearing that suggestion haha). 

Jerseys – I think the unique color combo is showcased very well in the kits. I really appreciate the inspiration, and I am partial to that pattern on the Clash. I must admit that I hate the vertical underarm stripe. They take both jerseys from a 10 to something I’d personally leave on the rack at the team store.

Deportivo Santa Maria:

Fun, bold colors that I think you juggled well. Also, that monogram could really shine as…. I’ll cut myself short before I say it again. I am sure you could guess.

Pinnacles SC:

Logo – Just needed to stop and appreciate this condor.

Jerseys – The KC inspired Clash is eye candy. Love that you were able to justify using the rainbow with a little history. Way to force the tie-in!

Rangers of Balboa Park:

Love the crest, but everything else is messy. I’d put both kits in the bottom tier of the league. I do like the lighter green shorts, though.

Inglewood SC:

I am very attracted to this team’s Home. It is gorgeous. Only thing I’d change is the obnoxious sponsor, but that isn’t the team’s fault. Those lower levels need to grab every penny they can get.

Porterville Packers:

Chef’s kiss goes out to that Clash. Creative name and identity as a whole.

Thousand Oaks SC:

Logo – I really dig the idea, but think it needs some work. I wouldn’t go too far off the original goal, but the execution is lacking. The logo is busy and the “1,000” seems forced into such a small space. Close but no cigar.

Jerseys – Unlike the logo, I think the Home is done perfectly, giving that elegant look you were going for. The double, thin pinstripes are so classy and the collar really adds to it all. The colors are bold and modern, yet seem to fit a traditional style. The only thing that seems off is the Clash. I get it, and support the tribute, but the snakeskin seems SO off-brand.

East San Jose United:

Was going to skip, but all my San Jose pride throughout the post made me feel obligated to comment. I think the narrative you’ve created is engaging and I like how it reflects in the crest, but nothing really catches the eye here. The Home is nice and functional, but I think the mono gray is a trend that isn’t received well around here, while the tech inspired Clash uses an overplayed “Silicon Valley” inspiration.

Berry Farm Athletic:

Loveable name with gorgeous colors that are balanced in a way that isn’t JARRING (haha get it?). The Clash is a different pace than the rest of the brand, but I dig it. That’s what the Clash is for, after all.

River Island SC:

Logo – Man, that “RI” monogram could really hold its own…. Oh, holy cow, wait a sec. You read my mind from the past! Witchcraft!

Yolo County SC:

I know it is the county’s name, but lord do I hate saying this team’s name. The colors are cream of the crop, though. For that, I can forgive the YOLO sin that you’ve committed.

PHEWWWWW.....

Anyways, cheers to you and your dedication to contributing quality content on these boards. I appreciate your effort to spark interest in graphic / logo design around here, and hope you find pleasure in doing so. Not very familiar with you as an individual, but I am very proud of this milestone as a creator!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 5:49 PM, johnrafael said:

Congratulations on finishing the series, TheGiantsFan. Can't wait to see Alton again. Only to make sure, will you make those gorgeous ballparks too?

Thank you very much! :)

Unfortunately, I won't be making the ballparks just yet because of the intense time commitment required to make those, but I'm not entirely ruling them out

On 10/26/2021 at 9:07 PM, kerlonmoura said:

Congratulations on completing the series, I have thoroughly enjoyed every single identity that you've created. Looking forward to what you have in store next!

Thank you very much, and I'm glad you enjoyed the series and all its teams! :)

On 10/27/2021 at 1:50 PM, TheHealthiestScratch said:

Off the bat (haha get it?), when you say digital life to the Alton Baseball League does that include the incredible stadiums, too? If so, you're one crazy SOB and I can't wait to see that.

Congrats on completing a VERY large project. The collection of California teams is gorgeous, making me wish they existed in our reality. I really appreciate the shoutout, I didn't realize my feedback had such high value here. Atm, I don't think I deserved the shoutout considering my last feedback posted was 3 months ago, sharing how I found your frog logo inspirational, haha.

That being said, there is no time like the present to catch up on missed time. Here's some feedback from page 8 all the way to the end (wow I missed a lot). I don't know if all these looks are final or not, so I might just be blowing air with this post! Either way, it is still a fun analysis that shows how much I enjoyed this thread.

(I don't know if I'll touch on every team. I will try to keep it to the highs and lows.)

Arrowhead SC:

Logo - I think you knocked the Atlas FC approach out of the park, but I personally really dislike how the purples and black outline blends. Thankfully, this is the only place where it bothers me enough to mention it.

Jerseys - The clash kit is slick. I think it should be promoted to Home status.

The Valley SC:

Logo - Phoenix's "The Valley" identity does not compare to this. They should be embraced. I love the colors and inspiration, but a lot is going on here. I think it might be the grid that is pushing it over the edge for me. 

Jerseys - Same thing as the logo. Very busy, but I love the colors. The clash is totally wicked.

Clovis SC:

Logo - The horseshoe is a modern classic. Gorgeous.

Jerseys - The amount of brown on the clash makes me realize I am not in love with the olive shade that was picked, but that is a small complaint. I am not a fan of tan and white in the same place at the same time, but I do like the idea for the home.

Delta Union:

Logo - Woohoo, a NorCal team! I can finally fully appreciate the research you did for a team because I am very familiar with the area. Using the sandhill crane as a team symbol is so unique and feels very football (in line with European teams using Canaries or Magpies). I wish the crane's wing broke the diamond shield holding it in, just to give more depth, but that is me trying to find something constructive enough to help you as a designer. Other than that, I love it.

Delanteros CF:

Logo - Shame you didn't keep the Dayton lookalike. Even if it is similar, I think that adds to the original logo. Lower level teams in any sports do not have the financial stability to construct a full, 100% unique identity, so I thought the original was actually more authentic. The new logo is still good, though. The head is a little sharp for my taste. I think it would look good if the team opted to use only the "D" crest and bottom two wings from the logo as a secondary, used as the crest on the Clash kit.

Jerseys - I love the Home kit. The colors are so aggressive and the hoops find nice balance.

SC Gilroy:

Logo - Maybe I am being critical because I am from South San Jose, but I just can't convince myself to like the logo. There isn't much you can do with garlic, but it is Gilroy... so you need garlic. Maybe try a college style walking garlic mascot? I'm not sure how to help.

Jerseys - Clash is superb. Think I'd use the Home shorts with them, but I think the green is quirky and fun too.

Sporting 626:

Logo - The sash on this logo is too unique to skip. The colors are eye catching, and the overall identity draws the viewer in. That is a huge success considering you are working with only a number. 

Vintage Napa Valley:

Logo - This name is so snobby, I can't get enough. The monogram captures the aesthetic of wine companies perfectly. So well that I caught on to the inspiration before reading your explanation. Classy mark that gives the team a "high-status" vibe. 

Jersey - The creative/fun wine cork pattern seems off-brand when comparing it to the logo, but I think it looks great. The Clash, on the other hand, has a bit much gnarly green for me.

SC Vandenberg:

Jerseys - The clash is perfect. I would buy one immediately. Only suggestion I'd make is recoloring it to match the club, then promoting it to Home status.

Tri-Valley Athletic:

Logo - No need to spend much time here. Just wanted to say that I really like the classic clover logo and the subtle Tri-Valley nods that come with it. The double green is gorgeous, and I wish we saw more of it throughout the identity.

La Jolla SC:

Logos - Taking a moment on this one to let you know that you missed out on another perfect opportunity to use a secondary mark as the crest on the kits. That "LJ" in the crest deserves some spotlight. I'd drop everything around it and enlarge the "LJ" just to slap it on one of the jerseys.

Oakdale SC:

Logo - Love the simplicity of the horse, and the color palette. 

Jerseys - I'd use both of these 50/50. The way that the red pops on the Home is so nice, and the soft colored gradient on the clash is mesmerizing.

Santa Clara Sporting:

It is so like this city to base their history around a different successful franchise. Like, you have a WHOLE county, Santa Clara. I am not sure this is the right direction. The gold shorts on the Home kits are nice, though.

Half Moon Bay SC:

Logo: Just wanted to say that I appreciate the simple "HMB".

Real Santa Ana:

Logo - These colors are REAL nice. I think the stained glass look is solid, even if that wasn't the intent of the design.

Jerseys - Love them just for the vibrant colors.

New Albion SC of Marin:

Logo - I back this team mostly because their name is a mouthful. You did a great job of fitting it on the crest without it feeling awkward. Just a solid, traditional football logo overall.

Jerseys - The Home kit is stunning. Love the red/yellow accents.

Ojai Sporting:

Logo - I have always loved the idea of having beautiful pieces of architecture in logos. The way you simplified the post office tower is perfect. Not too complicated, but gives enough to showcase the city's monument. 

Pomona AC:

Logo - Just another logo I appreciate because of the simplicity. The soccer ball columns are very fun, and the colors remind me how much I like the green/silver/white palette. Wish it was used more in sports.

Morgan Hill SC:

Again, I am from South San Jose. Like.... way South San Jose. My family is also originally from Morgan Hill (Fun fact: I am pretty sure my great-great grandpa was the first sheriff there, or something like that. Don't quote me! I said fun fact!). That being said, I hold this team close. 

Logo - I don't know if it was intentional, but the crest looks very similar to a cattle brand. If this isn't intentional, what a happy little hidden nod to the city's agricultural history! It pairs great with the horns in the logo. The hidden acorn/crest in the background is sure to put a smile on the Live Oak alumni in my family. Definitely an identity that shows tremendous care and respect for the city and its people.

Jerseys - I've taken up enough space for this team, so I'll just say the Home kit slaps. The white looks odd with the lighter orange/yellow, but I wouldn't know what to use instead.

Frogtown SC:

Logo – This frog has so much more to say than the croaks it gives, what a mysterious, charming little fella. I think the team is top tier, but the “S” and “C” protruding from the sides of the oval feels awkward.

Jerseys – The Home is PERFECT, I would buy it in a heartbeat. The Clash is PERFECT, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Both are very unique, and I find the Clash very charming.

Sacrament East:

Logo – The hexagon / bee identity is gorgeous and the colors only aid the visual, but I feel the weird, maroon outline shield spoils the brand. I’d drop it and just opt for embracing the hexagon! Here’s my pitch for an odd idea that would be unique: Replace the athletic gold with a gold flake look. It would elevate the class while also standing out in a very congested league! I hope I convinced you.

Feather River SC:

I just appreciate the shade of orange. Reminds me of something close to California’s signature “International Orange”. 

Burbank 97:

Logo – I can’t get enough of this team’s name, I love it. Also, really like your tweak on the city’s seal. Rounding it really changed it for the better. The subtle framing of “Burbank” with a film pattern keeps the theme without going overboard, like most content creators tend to do when it comes to the glam of… um… “Burbank”.

Richmond Riveters:

Logo – Fun name with great inspiration, and a solid identity built around it. Again, that “RR” could hold its own as a crest on one of the jerseys (sorry, I know you’re probably getting tired of hearing that suggestion haha). 

Jerseys – I think the unique color combo is showcased very well in the kits. I really appreciate the inspiration, and I am partial to that pattern on the Clash. I must admit that I hate the vertical underarm stripe. They take both jerseys from a 10 to something I’d personally leave on the rack at the team store.

Deportivo Santa Maria:

Fun, bold colors that I think you juggled well. Also, that monogram could really shine as…. I’ll cut myself short before I say it again. I am sure you could guess.

Pinnacles SC:

Logo – Just needed to stop and appreciate this condor.

Jerseys – The KC inspired Clash is eye candy. Love that you were able to justify using the rainbow with a little history. Way to force the tie-in!

Rangers of Balboa Park:

Love the crest, but everything else is messy. I’d put both kits in the bottom tier of the league. I do like the lighter green shorts, though.

Inglewood SC:

I am very attracted to this team’s Home. It is gorgeous. Only thing I’d change is the obnoxious sponsor, but that isn’t the team’s fault. Those lower levels need to grab every penny they can get.

Porterville Packers:

Chef’s kiss goes out to that Clash. Creative name and identity as a whole.

Thousand Oaks SC:

Logo – I really dig the idea, but think it needs some work. I wouldn’t go too far off the original goal, but the execution is lacking. The logo is busy and the “1,000” seems forced into such a small space. Close but no cigar.

Jerseys – Unlike the logo, I think the Home is done perfectly, giving that elegant look you were going for. The double, thin pinstripes are so classy and the collar really adds to it all. The colors are bold and modern, yet seem to fit a traditional style. The only thing that seems off is the Clash. I get it, and support the tribute, but the snakeskin seems SO off-brand.

East San Jose United:

Was going to skip, but all my San Jose pride throughout the post made me feel obligated to comment. I think the narrative you’ve created is engaging and I like how it reflects in the crest, but nothing really catches the eye here. The Home is nice and functional, but I think the mono gray is a trend that isn’t received well around here, while the tech inspired Clash uses an overplayed “Silicon Valley” inspiration.

Berry Farm Athletic:

Loveable name with gorgeous colors that are balanced in a way that isn’t JARRING (haha get it?). The Clash is a different pace than the rest of the brand, but I dig it. That’s what the Clash is for, after all.

River Island SC:

Logo – Man, that “RI” monogram could really hold its own…. Oh, holy cow, wait a sec. You read my mind from the past! Witchcraft!

Yolo County SC:

I know it is the county’s name, but lord do I hate saying this team’s name. The colors are cream of the crop, though. For that, I can forgive the YOLO sin that you’ve committed.

PHEWWWWW.....

Anyways, cheers to you and your dedication to contributing quality content on these boards. I appreciate your effort to spark interest in graphic / logo design around here, and hope you find pleasure in doing so. Not very familiar with you as an individual, but I am very proud of this milestone as a creator!

Thank you for following along this series, and I always appreciated your comments on here! :)

Unfortunately, the teams are already pretty much set in stone since I have already moved on to my Alton Baseball League digitizations, but you do have some insightful feedback on there! I know not all of my kit/logo decisions might have satisfied you, but it never hurts to experiment with different styles, and soccer was certainly a great outlet for experimentation! I always appreciate the local input/appreciation as well, as I had been a Monterey County native before moving out to Stockton for work

I really appreciate all your kind words of appreciation, and I'm glad to hear that my work inspires you and [hopefully] other people on the boards! :)

(BTW, I just saw your concepts for the very first time, and you've got some pretty quality stuff there! 👌)

• 4 weeks later...

Just in time for Cyber Monday, I've released California Soccer League merch on my Redbubble page! My 49 CSL team logos are available for sale as stickers, magnets, t-shirts, and pin buttons :)

I hit my upload limit on Redbubble today, so CSL2 merch won't be available until either tomorrow or Wednesday CSL2 merch is now up on Redbubble! :)

(I don't know if people will actually buy these, but it doesn't hurt to try!)

Archived