Shoulder Cuff and Collar Color on Football Uniforms

Can someone explain to me when/why teams consider using a different color from the base of the jersey for their collars and/or shoulder cuffs (idk if that is the right term), like the Baltimore Ravens? It just seems somewhat unusual to me and somewhat arbitrary. I'm assuming it's just that some teams want an extra splash of color, but why then on shoulder and not collar (or vice versa), and why on the road jersey and not the home (like the Tennessee Vols)?

10 hours ago, FALCON6 said:

Can someone explain to me when/why teams consider using a different color from the base of the jersey for their collars and/or shoulder cuffs (idk if that is the right term), like the Baltimore Ravens? It just seems somewhat unusual to me and somewhat arbitrary. I'm assuming it's just that some teams want an extra splash of color, but why then on shoulder and not collar (or vice versa), and why on the road jersey and not the home (like the Tennessee Vols)?

Your particular example the ravens had matching collar and sleeve cuffs until Nike came out with the toilet seat collar and the ravens changed the collar to match the base after the first year. Now that the collars have changed they could go back to matching but haven’t. Why teams choose to apply it and when not to you are going to have to ask the teams it’s just design, and being on uniforms that tend to be pretty bare it’s just to give them something to not make them look like blank jerseys.

Archived