Same team/owner, Different logos

While in the US it's normal for a men's and women's team that are owned by the same group to have different logos I was surprised to see a few teams outside of the United States that have this as well:

Houston Dynamo/Houston Dash

X2WpqKT.jpg

qlBNeKK.jpg

Portland Timbers/Portland Thorns

Portland Timbers 2021 Adidas Home Kit | 20/21 Kits | Football shirt blog

Nike Portland Thorns FC Kits 2020-21 - Nike News

These two also have to deal with different uniform makers due to league contracts. 

Mexico (Monterrey FC/Rayadas FC)

ge7EbIg.jpg

MeL4EWE.png

Chivas de Guadalajara/Guadalajara Feminil

Y2lz6XR.jpg

qceWYpB.png

The ladies are even using a different template from the men this year, as well as a different primary sponsor.

London Bees/Barnet FC

VMSI3AM.jpg

RKZXTOt.jpg

I'm sure that the Australian A Leagues (Men and Women) may have these contrasting logos as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The difference is essentially corporate structure.  It's much more common for European teams to just be units of the same club, like Barcelona having soccer, basketball, etc.  It's the same principle as the Knicks and Rangers still being different entities despite both being owned by James Dolan.

VmWIn6B.png

On 4/30/2021 at 11:43 AM, LMU said:

The difference is essentially corporate structure.  It's much more common for European teams to just be units of the same club, like Barcelona having soccer, basketball, etc.  It's the same principle as the Knicks and Rangers still being different entities despite both being owned by James Dolan.

Good point. I was thinking specifically soccer where the owner, technically runs both teams but we did see it somewhat when the WNBA started and borrowed the colors of their NBA counterparts but not their logos. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived