Uniforms... How do you sell them?

CC97

that in itself is a good question. I'm gonna note a few things. Usually, you'd think this would be related to winning and losing, and/or having a marquee player. Carlos Delgado is a marquee player, so I can go to Finish Line here and get a Blue Jays jersey with his name on the back...however, I can't get a matching hat. Conversely, I could probably be in Dallas and get myself a blank Cubs jersey and a hat to go with.

On a similar note, I see Iverson jerseys everywhere, and I see Sixers throwbacks everywhere too. The team's been on decline, so success can't be it. They market the hell outta Ivo, so that answers teh first part, but not the latter. Maybe a lot of people just think the Sixers' old garb is a cool style, maybe it's cus throwbacks are 'the style' but whatever, it sells.

Then I turn to colleges. The popular local school (in this case, Wisconsin) will sell because they're ours (Marquette's the White Sox in this relationship). And then there are the national schools: Texas, Florida, Carolina and Michigan for everything, it seems; Florida State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Miami, Tennessee, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Penn State, Nebraska, etc. for football; Duke, Michigan State, Indiana, Cal, Arizona, Mizzou, Kansas, Louisville, Kentucky, Cincinnati, Temple, Georgetown, St. John's, etc for hoops, and the occassional hockey and baseball jerseys. usually, since NCAA doesn't allow player names on the back unless it's, say, a Michael Vick throwback for Va Tech, they just have the number. the main thing in college is success, as Miami's football jerseys will be sold regardless of what Nike does to it: it's MIAMI! As you might guess, Vanderbilt won't really sell that well unless there are a lot of folks who want a gold jersey.

It probably varies in area and sport involved, but it's a good topic to rack your brain on.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

It's an excellent question. It also has to be pointed out about the big bandwagon too. Football is a HUGE example. I've seen guys who in 1997 had Packers jerseys, 1998, 1999 had Broncos jerseys, 2000 new Rams jerseys, 2001 had Ravens jerseys, 2002 had Patriots jerseys, 2003 Raiders and Bucs, 2004 Pats throwback jerseys :P. When I ask these guys are they a fan of the team they show off its always, "yeah I'm a diehard." Which I then quickly respond with oh really? Is that the Packer jersey you wore last year in the trash? Because you said you were a diehard last year of the Packers?

(Packers was just a random team, in no way am I saying they have bandwagon fans, actually quite the opposite.)

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

that in itself is a good question. I'm gonna note a few things. Usually, you'd think this would be related to winning and losing, and/or having a marquee player. Carlos Delgado is a marquee player, so I can go to Finish Line here and get a Blue Jays jersey with his name on the back...however, I can't get a matching hat. Conversely, I could probably be in Dallas and get myself a blank Cubs jersey and a hat to go with.

On a similar note, I see Iverson jerseys everywhere, and I see Sixers throwbacks everywhere too. The team's been on decline, so success can't be it. They market the hell outta Ivo, so that answers teh first part, but not the latter. Maybe a lot of people just think the Sixers' old garb is a cool style, maybe it's cus throwbacks are 'the style' but whatever, it sells.

Then I turn to colleges. The popular local school (in this case, Wisconsin) will sell because they're ours (Marquette's the White Sox in this relationship). And then there are the national schools: Texas, Florida, Carolina and Michigan for everything, it seems; Florida State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Miami, Tennessee, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Penn State, Nebraska, etc. for football; Duke, Michigan State, Indiana, Cal, Arizona, Mizzou, Kansas, Louisville, Kentucky, Cincinnati, Temple, Georgetown, St. John's, etc for hoops, and the occassional hockey and baseball jerseys. usually, since NCAA doesn't allow player names on the back unless it's, say, a Michael Vick throwback for Va Tech, they just have the number. the main thing in college is success, as Miami's football jerseys will be sold regardless of what Nike does to it: it's MIAMI! As you might guess, Vanderbilt won't really sell that well unless there are a lot of folks who want a gold jersey.

It probably varies in area and sport involved, but it's a good topic to rack your brain on.

i hope my article didnt give you a headache!

Archived