Will's You Make The Call #7

WJMorris3

The Los Angeles Clippers started their game with the Miami Heat with a short bench, only dressing 8 players. Now, their use of the Hack-a-Shaq defense has reduced them to five players: Kerry Kittles, Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Chris Wilcox, and Bobby Simmons.

With 5:40 to go in the fourth quarter, and the Heat leading 87-73, Elton Brand picks up his sixth foul guarding Shaquille O'Neal away from the ball, and is disqualified. The Clippers are already over the limit.

The team has no eligible substitutes. Must they play a man short for the rest of the game? Also, how many foul shots does Shaq shoot?

LvZYtbZ.png

I'm going to go with they do not play short. I don't know the exact rule for that, but I think this happened in the NBA before and they didn't play short then either.

BTW, Shaq shoots two.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

RULE NO. 3-PLAYERS, SUBSTITUTES AND COACHES

Section I-Team

a. Each team shall consist of five players. No team may be reduced to less than five players. If a player in the game receives his sixth personal foul and all substitutes have already been disqualified, said player shall remain in the game and shall be charged with a personal and team foul. A technical foul also shall be assessed against his team. All subsequent personal fouls, including offensive fouls, shall be treated similarly. All players who have six or more personal fouls and remain in the game shall be treated similarly.

b. In the event that there are only five eligible players remaining and one of these players is injured and must leave the game or is ejected, he must be replaced by the last player who was disqualified by reason of receiving six personal fouls. Each subsequent requirement to replace an injured or ejected player will be treated in this inverse order. Any such re-entry into a game by a disqualified player shall be penalized by a technical foul.

So Shaq, although he may miss them all, get two for the personal over the limit and one for the tecnhical.

dodgers-1.png

Archived