Unused Slamball Logos

So about a month ago I posted a topic on here about old Halo Esports Logos. Didn’t get much of a bite but I’m not surprised Esports isn’t much of a hot topic on the boards but just this morning I happen to come across something on an archived website that I think might start a conversation. During quarantine I became quite a big fan of Slamball I know that’s not saying much since they haven’t really been too active in recent years but since I’m just getting ready to graduate high school I never really got to experience what it was like to watch Slamball live. I wasn’t alive to see their first rendition and by the time they decided to give it another go-a-round I was only four years old. But just watching the clips on YouTube made me only wish I could’ve experienced the action and maybe even catch a game live just to feel the wackiness of being a teenager in the early 2000s. As many know Slamball had only nicknames for the teams during their run for example the “Bouncers,Slashers,Maulers” sort of like the Big 3. But when they were only in the early stages of training camp (in a warehouse) they actually used sort of a city-based model. Only the Los Angeles Rumble and the Chicago Mob Took the court to test the game but according to founder Mason Gordon there was actually four other teams that had been designed based on this city model.
Miami Strip
Detroit Steele
Las Vegas Hustle
Dallas Diablos
From what I can see these teams and logos never got to actually take the court but some of the names were still used for example the Diablos and the Steele (which was changed to Steal) I think it’s amazing to look back on what could’ve been and what the sport would’ve looked like If they had used city-based teams. I know the logos are small and are definitely in low resolution but I don't really know how to make them bigger without them becoming distorted. This is just what I found off the website.

spacer.pngspacer.pngPVLi7XA.gifspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

LOL I was a teenager September 2000 through September 2007. It wasn't that great and wacky would not be the word I'd used to describe those days. 

I did watch Slamball a few times with friends and it kind of went like this:

"Have you guys heard about that trampoline basketball league?"

"yeah that looks crazy"

*6 weeks later, catches it on TV at 1 am, watches it for 11 minutes*

"alright I get it. Let's go back to Stern on the E channel"

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Sport said:

LOL I was a teenager September 2000 through September 2007. It wasn't that great and wacky would not be the word I'd used to describe those days. 

I did watch Slamball a few times with friends and it kind of went like this:

"Have you guys heard about that trampoline basketball league?"

"yeah that looks crazy"

*6 weeks later, catches it on TV at 1 am, watches it for 11 minutes*

"alright I get it. Let's go back to Stern on the E channel"

Haha I get you, even though I was a kid throughout those times there’s a huge difference and a wide range of perspectives on what the 2000s were like through the eyes of a kid and through the eyes of a teenager. Part of me wonders if Slamball would have been successful and would’ve lasted longer if kids would’ve had the accessibility to play it. I’ve always thought that the reason a sport like Basketball is so successful because anybody and everybody can just go down to the park and shoot hoops. But just the sport itself of Slamball is hard to play without it being in a high dollar facility. I know now we have all these trampoline parks that have entire dodgeball courts in them so maybe if Slamball had hit it on the dot we might have seen an entire court in like sky zone. But still you’d have to pay money just to get in and play a game or two.

11 hours ago, cLuTcHy said:

Haha I get you, even though I was a kid throughout those times there’s a huge difference and a wide range of perspectives on what the 2000s were like through the eyes of a kid and through the eyes of a teenager. Part of me wonders if Slamball would have been successful and would’ve lasted longer if kids would’ve had the accessibility to play it. I’ve always thought that the reason a sport like Basketball is so successful because anybody and everybody can just go down to the park and shoot hoops. But just the sport itself of Slamball is hard to play without it being in a high dollar facility. I know now we have all these trampoline parks that have entire dodgeball courts in them so maybe if Slamball had hit it on the dot we might have seen an entire court in like sky zone. But still you’d have to pay money just to get in and play a game or two.

No it wouldn’t have. You have basketball, and people aren’t going to switch from basketball to slamball. It also takes much less skill and too much of a gimmick to be more successful than it was. Even streetball hasn’t even been successful and it’s basically the equivalent to spring league football or arena league football. You have some pop up leagues that will be successful for a few year but can never maintain their success because the big 4 leagues just  cannibalize them. 

16 hours ago, dont care said:

No it wouldn’t have. You have basketball, and people aren’t going to switch from basketball to slamball. It also takes much less skill and too much of a gimmick to be more successful than it was. Even streetball hasn’t even been successful and it’s basically the equivalent to spring league football or arena league football. You have some pop up leagues that will be successful for a few year but can never maintain their success because the big 4 leagues just  cannibalize them. 

I definitely agree, sorry I didn’t make it clear before. I feel the casual hooper definitely wouldn’t make the jump but for those guys who desire to compete at the professional level but just can’t seem to find a roster spot in the NBA or G-League might decide to give it a go simply because it gives them an opportunity to go out and compete at a level other then rec ball. I know I read that when Slamball was first starting out they used most guys who either were street ballers or guys who had just washed out of what ever chance they had got after college ball. Pretty sure I saw that Micheal Goldman (one of the original Slamballers) even gave up his eligibility in college in order to play in this startup.

2 minutes ago, cLuTcHy said:

I definitely agree, sorry I didn’t make it clear before. I feel the casual hooper definitely wouldn’t make the jump but for those guys who desire to compete at the professional level but just can’t seem to find a roster spot in the NBA or G-League might decide to give it a go simply because it gives them an opportunity to go out and compete at a level other then rec ball. I know I read that when Slamball was first starting out they used most guys who either were street ballers or guys who had just washed out of what ever chance they had got after college ball. Pretty sure I saw that Micheal Goldman (one of the original Slamballers) even gave up his eligibility in college in order to play in this startup.

But no one is joining a gimmick league because they can’t go pro. You join AFL and spring ball leagues to get a second look by NFL scouts. You join D league and euro leagues for the same thing. If you don’t make it in any of those you will go get a real job, not risk potentially injuring yourself for life for a sport that no NBA scout is going to watch, for less money than you’d make in a regular 9-5 job. 

Archived