Huddersfield Town AFC Concept

MDGP

In my continuing adventures in the world of Football Manager, I've become familiar with a LOT of crests from teams at all levels of the sport, particularly in the English Championship. Of these second tier teams, Huddersfield Town has what I would consider the worst crest in League play.

Huddersfield Town A.F.C. - Wikipedia

There is so much going on with this crest and all of it is absolutely brutal: A Yorkshire terrier with inconsistent line work, what appears to be a helmet, a poorly drawn wreath, a shield featuring a yorkshire rose on a striped blue and white background above a black chevron, three stars shaded in a manner that makes them appear 3D, and a cartoon depiction of the Victoria Tower at Castle hill. These elements all feature odd use of gradients and are surrounded by a full shield, itself using multiple gradients for the outer stroke.

I wanted to make a design that included the important aspects of the real crest but wasn't a complete mess.

p3S158i.png

To me, the most important aspect of the crest should be the Yorkshire Terrier, since the club's nickname is "The Terriers." I also wanted to bring back a front facing terrier, as that style was used for approximately 40 years before the current terrier was designed. While the terrier has historically been a shade of gold, the style I was going for didn't particularly work with lighter colors so I stuck with blue. The overall shield is changed to a roundel, mimicking several different crests. In the center of the shield are the squad's historic blue stripes, the middle of which is carved out in a manner to generally resemble the Victoria Tower at castle hill (which can be seen to the right of the crest). 3 gold stars above the Terrier's head represent the three top flight titles won by Huddersfield, and its Yorkshire roots are represented by the two Yorkshire roses on the outer portion of the roundel. Finally a gold keyline was added to give a splash of color to the overall design.

And below, a side by side comparison for your perusal.

wMndZyv.png

No jerseys this time around, though I have a few in the works (honestly, they'll probably be pretty classic with vertical stripes and not much in the way of flourishes). That being said I'd love to hear your C+C!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Well-rendered terrier and a really nice modernization of that 2000 logo!

I'd suggest moving the roses to flank the "1908" instead, and adding a touch more detail to the Tower might make it a bit clearer (maybe keep the shape of the top tower section from the IRL badge.)

Hey all, thanks for the comments!

On 6/22/2022 at 9:28 AM, alexandre said:

Great work! Fits in with the "roundelisation" of the various top flights. What is the typeface- is it Gill Sans?

The font used I used is Berlin-X Bold.

On 6/22/2022 at 11:53 AM, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

It's a roundel, and there have been so many new crests that have been roundels it's a bit played out. But this one is reaaly good, the notch in the middle stripe to represent the Victoria Castle is a great idea.

Oh, I completely agree about roundels being a bit played out these days. I initially wanted the crest to be the home plate shield shape from the current one, but I just didn't find a layout I liked with that design.

19 hours ago, vtgco said:

Well-rendered terrier and a really nice modernization of that 2000 logo!

I'd suggest moving the roses to flank the "1908" instead, and adding a touch more detail to the Tower might make it a bit clearer (maybe keep the shape of the top tower section from the IRL badge.)

I've actually gone back and forth on both the Roses and the details on the tower. Here's a version with a slightly more detailed tower (I avoided the version on the real crest because that one is actually wildly inaccurate, and I wanted to go a bit more subtle than that design.

tsMGND3.png

Personally, I like the roses flanking the team name better, but no harm in showing it off with the roses down below.

• Like 1

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

3 hours ago, MDGP said:

I've actually gone back and forth on both the Roses and the details on the tower. Here's a version with a slightly more detailed tower (I avoided the version on the real crest because that one is actually wildly inaccurate, and I wanted to go a bit more subtle than that design.

tsMGND3.png

Personally, I like the roses flanking the team name better, but no harm in showing it off with the roses down below.

The tower already looks a lot better and intentional this way!

Though I agree the IRL crest's tower is a bit overexaggerated, I still think a tiny bit more detail, either by adding a lip and/or a bit of crenellation, will make the idea much clearer without sacrificing too much realism.

Also are the roses better somewhere in between? Perhaps aligned with the blue stripes?

On 6/23/2022 at 6:47 PM, vtgco said:

The tower already looks a lot better and intentional this way!

Though I agree the IRL crest's tower is a bit overexaggerated, I still think a tiny bit more detail, either by adding a lip and/or a bit of crenellation, will make the idea much clearer without sacrificing too much realism.

Also are the roses better somewhere in between? Perhaps aligned with the blue stripes?

I do like your idea for adding crenelation, so I went and looked at the tower's actual crenelation which is somewhat unique. I also flipped the tower just to reflect the side these elements are all on.

JWRaTkH.png

Ultimately I decided against adding any outcroppings as I would still like it to follow the stripe. On the roses, I just found I like them best closer to the team name itself so I put them back up there.

• Like 4