Buffalo All-Americans logo and uniform concept

Darth Brooks

The Buffalo All-Americans were an early powerhouse of the NFL. During their first seasons they legitimately had reason to think of themselves as the best team in the league. If you look for the Buffalo All-Americans logo, you're going to have a difficult time. This is not their logo.

spacer.png

It's from a different Buffalo team, one from the AAFC, in 1946.
This is not their logo.

spacer.png

It was drawn by Bob Carroll, the late executive director of the Professional Researchers Association. He evidently never found a logo and drew this to fill the need. I did find one thing, from a facebook page devoted to Buffalo sports. Evidently this was on the Buffalo All-American's letterhead.

spacer.png

Where did it come from? Whoever drew it wasn't drawing from life, American Bison don't look like that. Something about it looked familiar, as if I had seen it before.  It had to come from a book, probably a book of sketches, written before 1920. It took some research but I found this,

spacer.png

It came from a book called  American pictures drawn with pen and pencil By Rev. Samuel Morrison https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc2.ark:/13960/t8gf0nk9n&view=1up&seq=42 . I'm not sure he had ever seen a Buffalo in real life. I did a drawing based on the two illustrations,  trying to keep what I could but also make something useful.
spacer.png
Which led to these two,   Neither of which I was happy with.
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png
BTW, Buffalo's colors were black, and orange. The uniforms weren't bad but I ended up using a double-A logo instead of the Buffalo. That's where it sat for most of two years as i did other stuff. Then I got sick. While I was undergoing treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma I didn't feel like doing a damn thing. After the treatment, I got into a weird situation where I was feeling better but still wasn't able to go back to work. So I started to go back over old projects. I had a bunch of art on Deviantart but decided to move it. DA was convenient and well laid out but not something you want to put on a resume. Artstation was what I decided on. I couldn't upload the psd's but I could upload complete categories of stuff.

When it was time to redo Buffalo I went back to the old drawing. The logo needed to be cleaner, with shapes that were more easy to make out. So I got out the pencil again and drew this,
spacer.png
I traced that in flexisign, a program similar to coreldraw or illustrator.
spacer.png
Then made some variants to see what looked best. I kept trying to simplify the design down.
spacer.png
and finally settled on this.
spacer.png
Which I'm happy with and probably never change. The revised uniform looks like this,
spacer.png

Thoughts?

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2022 at 5:47 PM, Darth Brooks said:

spacer.png

One of these or thicker?

I think the last one looks good, but maybe try making the internal black lines thicker as well so it doesn't get lost when viewed at a smaller size. 

I do like what you did with this quite a bit, the jerseys especially look great to me. I had thought that a black helmet may work better with the logo, but the thicker outline may get rid of that concern also.

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png