aawagner011's MLB City Connect Concepts (Blue Jays May 10)

aawagner011

Hi, guys! It's been years since I've done some concept art. I primarily pitched ideas for football (both college and NFL) and the occasional baseball and basketball concept. The City Connect program has my creative juices flowing again. I like the idea of creating a singular design to capture a team's city or identity. The program reminds me of the Pro Combat days in college football about 15 years ago. Both programs have mixed results. Too often, City Connects are so wild that they fail to communicate the identity of the team. My designs will be a blending of ideas. Think "City Connect" meets "Heritage." My goal is to create unique designs that still feel very much like the club they represent.

I don't have a regular schedule for this project as I'm only doing it in my free time.

First, we'll start off with the New York Yankees. City Connect has shown that pants colors are now fair game. This is a design that could be used at home or on the road. While the jersey is a bit different, it's presented in a way that still feels like a traditional baseball script. The cap and pants add some familiarity but use subtle differences to distinguish from standard Yankees gear.

spacer.png

• Like 5

I like this a lot, especially how you reference the subway system without going overboard. As a Yankees fan, would be happy to see this introduced (scared to see how Nike will ruin the real one). One thought, what would the frieze pattern look like as a stripe on the sleeves?

• Like 2

Nice job! I imagine this is probably pretty close to what the Yankees will end up actually doing. They'll stick to their traditional colors, but use them in a way we haven't seen before. 

Curious, will you only be tackling teams whose designs we have yet to see, or will you be putting your own spin on City Connects that have already been unveiled?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thesieve22 said:

I like this a lot, especially how you reference the subway system without going overboard. As a Yankees fan, would be happy to see this introduced (scared to see how Nike will ruin the real one). One thought, what would the frieze pattern look like as a stripe on the sleeves?

Using the frieze on the sleeve was my first idea but I was worried the chest wordmark would be too plain without it. Maybe I could mock that up so we can see both.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Nice job! I imagine this is probably pretty close to what the Yankees will end up actually doing. They'll stick to their traditional colors, but use them in a way we haven't seen before. 

Curious, will you only be tackling teams whose designs we have yet to see, or will you be putting your own spin on City Connects that have already been unveiled?

As of now, there is no plan! This was fun since they are one of the teams without a CC so I was totally starting from scratch. I’ll probably do a bit of both.

• Like 1

Up next and sticking in the AL East: the Toronto Blue Jays. This one is definitely "out there" a bit. One thing you'll see from my concepts in this thread, though, is I am making a concerted effort to use team colors. This will ensure teams feel recognizable despite utilizing new designs. That's one aspect of the City Connect idea that I haven't liked (such as the Red Sox and Rangers).

spacer.png

• Like 4

• aawagner011 changed the title to aawagner011's MLB City Connect Concepts (Blue Jays May 10)