Just thought I'd start a new thread on Soccer Designs.

- I like clean designs, with a Factory Pomo influence, modern art influence. For emblems, I try to steer clear of the "City Group Roundel" style as much as possible

- Not a fan of Stars above logos, so you'll not see any in this thread. I just think it looks tacky.

- This thread is an AI Free Zone. As with so much in life, @Dril said it best.

- This will mainly be a thread for crests and shirts, but other stuff will pop up. Kit designs will follow crests usually.

First up is the  emblem for Italian national team.

f99932f84dc70c7b9a63e6b62f37398f7f8fad8e

This is sort of a cross between the i logo used between 1991 and 1999, and the previous crest introduced in 2017. The tricolour and gold old school football are against a navy background, I always liked how the navy on the crest looked and how it worked with the gold. I left the Italia and FIGC script off, as I think a lowercase I with the Tricolour speaks for itself.

The font used for the presentation is SS Nickson One.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3f5c35d7c591065aa370fafd9a94d85caabdcc84

And next is a rejigged version of the new Sounders main crest. I like the outline in seaform green and the space needle, but feel like the rest of it misses the mark and I've never been a fan of the shades of blue and green the team has used since they joined MLS.

The crest is now an emerald shape (inspired by VTGCO), the outline of Tahoma is at the top of the logo, and 1974 is now in Market Deco, a font based on the one used for the Pike Place Market sign. The shades used are navy and shade of green called Emerald Acres, with the newly introduced seafoam green as an accent colour. I kept the space needle, as it's a really nice depiction and as I've mentioned, one of the best parts of the newly revealed logo (which is very similar to the Space Needle from this concept by TLChandler).

• Like 3

Definitely like the shades of green & blue you've used; not really sure about the jaggedness of the right side of the Tahoma silhouette.  Also feel like the numbers are a bit too big.

As for Italy, I like the use of the old-timey ball, and your version definitely looks more like an "i" than the original, but the composition of the original lopsided-dot certainly feels a tad more dynamic and might be worth a shot. Definitely a hard logo to work with, but you've done well with it.

On 2023-09-29 at 7:29 PM, vtgco said:

Definitely like the shades of green & blue you've used; not really sure about the jaggedness of the right side of the Tahoma silhouette.  Also feel like the numbers are a bit too big.

74341dba3694465846500f1f28a52ff3ec56d8cc

Here it is with smaller numbers and a straight line on the right side of Tahoma, and also a different shade of cyan for the outline.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, CRDesigns said:

Love the Sounders redesign. I honestly like what they came up with, but you took those improvements and made it even better. Nice work!!

Thanks!

On 2023-09-29 at 7:29 PM, vtgco said:

As for Italy, I like the use of the old-timey ball, and your version definitely looks more like an "i" than the original, but the composition of the original lopsided-dot certainly feels a tad more dynamic and might be worth a shot. Definitely a hard logo to work with, but you've done well with it.

I tried a more lopsided I logo.

aadfa1937592dafd32ee0b3bd2e19fe26c2e7c23

I would probably still go with the inline i.

Couple of more redesigns, first up are Tolouse FC, this is a redo of a logo I did a while ago -

b7edfac342c6ad4a3721affc031137965a53b671

This is a redo of an earlier design of mine, used Caniste Semibold for the font, made the outline around the crest thicker, and put a gold outline around the Occitan Cross roundel.

And another redesign, this one for Aston Villa.

792c7733213f00b11aa9227c54fb125e68719a95

This is basically the lion from the current logo (with a few modifications) in a shield shaped like a gas lamp, as with the runner up in the recent fan vote. The yellow lion on light blue doesn't give the best contrast, so now the lion is claret, and claret and light blue are the only two colours on the crest. Aston Villa were the team that popularized that colour combination in English football, so it's only fitting that those are the only two colours on the crest. The inner outline is broken to create a V for Villa.

C+C would be cool.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Subtle changes make for a massive improvement from your previous version of Toulouse; the new font choice is great and spacing is so much nicer now that everything has some breathing room! No more changes needed.

Villa looks great in this shield shape (and better than the linked concept since now it's maroon on blue!) I like the broken V; it makes me curious to see the top two corners get "broken" as well even though it doesn't form a letter.

Thanks for humoring the lopsided "i"... I do like it better, personally.

9 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Thanks!

I tried a more lopsided I logo.

aadfa1937592dafd32ee0b3bd2e19fe26c2e7c23

I would probably still go with the inline i.

792c7733213f00b11aa9227c54fb125e68719a95

This is basically the lion from the current logo (with a few modifications) in a shield shaped like a gas lamp, as with the runner up in the recent fan vote. The yellow lion on light blue doesn't give the best contrast, so now the lion is claret, and claret and light blue are the only two colours on the crest. Aston Villa were the team that popularized that colour combination in English football, so it's only fitting that those are the only two colours on the crest. The inner outline is broken to create a V for Villa.

C+C would be cool.

Would you be able to fit in the club's initials and the word Prepared inside the gas lamp shield crest?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023-10-03 at 12:25 PM, Friedrich Stuart Macbeth said:

Would you be able to fit in the club's initials and the word Prepared inside the gas lamp shield crest?

I wasn't able to fit the motto inside of the gaslamp shield due to the shape of the lion and the angle of the V at the bottom of the shield, but I was able to fit the intitials in there.

406cbdeac03e80d4d89fad94a4bebf92c6704901

I prefer the standalone Lion.

On 2023-10-03 at 6:59 AM, vtgco said:

Villa looks great in this shield shape (and better than the linked concept since now it's maroon on blue!) I like the broken V; it makes me curious to see the top two corners get "broken" as well even though it doesn't form a letter.

Sure thing.

521812f665ba9bf523626a41223c249cf00fc0b0

Onto another design I cooked up, this one for French side RC Lens.

ec44efa1c67f4345d8d08910319ce753e18914dd

The vibe I was going for here was to create something that wouldn't look out of place on a 1920's workers rights poster. This takes the mining lamp from the current crest and makes it the centrepiece, the shape of the shield was inspired by the pattern found on the Gare de Lens, which was built to resemble a steam locomotive. The font used for the initials and the name is Antonio. There is a lot of black on the crest, but I wanted the red and gold to work together more, hence the beam of light and the inverted colours on the inner outline.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Lens looks so good; a big upgrade on any of the IRL logos. I think it's a bit more dynamic and well-composed than your old concept for them too, though I did like the double-diamond container for that one. Not necessary, but it could honestly go even more dynamic by having the top of the lighthouse break out from the top of the diamond...

Villa looks great with the broken corners; thanks for trying it out!

On 2023-10-13 at 6:32 PM, vtgco said:

Lens looks so good; a big upgrade on any of the IRL logos. I think it's a bit more dynamic and well-composed than your old concept for them too, though I did like the double-diamond container for that one. Not necessary, but it could honestly go even more dynamic by having the top of the lighthouse break out from the top of the diamond...

Thanks! I decided to go with just the diamond for the remaster, the problem with the container was the amount of empty space it left, so one diamond it was.  Making the miners lamp any bigger would squeeze out the R and the L and I wanted the symmetry. I'll probably try a version with the top of the lamp emerging from the crest sometime.

And now onto a team that sadly no longer exists.

ffd2a3f399b08325d6836bdbf6b077d616b740bd

Centro de Ensino Unificado de Brasília Esporte Clube (Unified Teaching Center of Brasília Sports Club), better known as CEUB, were active from 1968 to 1976 and played three seasons in the top level nationwide championship. Their logos weren't anything to write home about, but they did have a pretty distinct design for their jerseys, blue with blue and gold stripes on the sleeves.

The arrow from the flag of Brasília takes centre stage, with the clubs initials (in LadyIce font) and an old school football. The stripes are horizontal for the top of the crest and vertical on the bottom, as well as the striped sleeves, CEUB played in vertically striped gold and blue shirts.

C+C would be cool.

• Like 1

Couple of Logos for teams that do still exist today, one radically different from what the actual team uses, and another that is an update of an old crest.

c28361af1afd8f88089059c782be7b5cada7a23e

Rodelindo Román are from Santiago, and currently are owned by former Chilean international Arturo Vidal. The team play in the district of San Joaquín , the central motif of its seal is used as the main feature. The font for the team name is Belgrad and Lady Ice is used for the date of foundation.

30676acdafc108f6eb5c66bd2ba55326491cc071

Liga MX side Puebla have had a variation on their "Ribbon" logo, but in 2016 introduced a new crest that had the Angels and the Cathedral from the city emblem. That logo didn't last long and probably for the best, as it had too much going on like fade effects, bevelled stars and a football on fire for some reason. This take is simplified, with the date of the teams foundation on a sash, which is the teams signature jersey feature.

The font for the name and number is Valley.

C+C would be cool.

• Like 2

And now for another English team, Sheffield Wednesday.

3dff56d44cc08679d77a53d59c34ade73cb50ddd

The Owl that was introduced in 1973 is a classic and one of the most beloved and longest lasting of the minimalist logos that were introduced in that time period in English Football, and lasted until 1995, when it was replaced by a design that had a SWFC monogram repeated.

The classic Owl returned in 1999 inside a shield and this design lasted until 2016.  That year, the new owner of the club, Dejphon Chansiri, in just one of many questionable decisions he has made at the helm, decided to bring back the crest used between 1956 - 1973 (which never appeared on the shirts) almost unchanged. To my eyes, the crest on the shirt looks so retro its retrograde, and has design features that make it look highly dated such as black outlines around almost every feature.

The designs here bring back the Owl as the centrepiece. The shape of the owl is the reason for the 20 degree rotation, to minimise empty space, and there is a clear Factory Pomo influence with the designs featuring the team name.

7114359b22485ec2e3753019522513c921c0c11c

A version with two quarter rings.

4b50b489be62a0ec67d65e2af05276f8ad701748

And the owl in a roundel with just two stripes and the date of foundation. The font used for the name and numbers is Loxley.

C&C Would be cool.

• Like 1

CEUB looks great; that flag icon is so nice in a roundel! I am curious how it would look with a blue outline then the white outline, not just the white outline...

Huge upgrade for Rodelino Roman; no notes!

Totally appreciate the simplification for Puebla, and I agree that the ideas (not execution) behind that old logo are certainly better than the generic crest they have now. 

I would consider simplifying a bit more, by removing the blue ground, enlarging the castle so it meets the bottom of the inner roundel, and moving "19" and "44" to the sides of the outer roundel.

Not feeling the roundel for Sheffield Wednesday. The quarter circles one is definitely the best of those options, but I kinda feel like the '70s crest works better without a container. Your font choice is excellent, though!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2023-10-19 at 5:39 PM, vtgco said:

Totally appreciate the simplification for Puebla, and I agree that the ideas (not execution) behind that old logo are certainly better than the generic crest they have now. 

I would consider simplifying a bit more, by removing the blue ground, enlarging the castle so it meets the bottom of the inner roundel, and moving "19" and "44" to the sides of the outer roundel.

Thanks! I wanted to have La Franja on the crest somewhere, as it's the defining feature of the uniforms of the team and also it's nickname, and I feel it would lose something without it, and moving the foundation dates to the sides would put it a bit too close to "City Group" roundel territory for me.

On 2023-10-19 at 5:39 PM, vtgco said:

Not feeling the roundel for Sheffield Wednesday. The quarter circles one is definitely the best of those options, but I kinda feel like the '70s crest works better without a container. Your font choice is excellent, though!

I wanted to see if I could make one that fitted the owl, which wasn't easy considering the shape of it and incorporate a Factory Pomo style, which is why I used that font, which is FP AF. I agree though that the 70's crest works best just on it's own and thats the way I would have it on a jersey.

412fc4eb9392478d2b959b5c37f46fa904832759

00a00525e7b409bd1d387e0350bc07427668684d

Crest redesign for Grenoble Foot 38, this combines the three roses from the city logo of Grenoble with a representation of its cable cars, in which the initials of the team (in Belgrad) is placed. The shape of the crest was dictated by needing to accomodate the cable cars and the three roses, and gold is added to the blue and white of the current colour scheme, as gold and blue are the colours of the province of Dauphiné, which Grenoble was the capital of.

C&C would be cool.