2024 NHL Redesign (8/32 Blue Jackets Added)

johne9109

With the NHL season officially over (congrats to the Florida Panthers) and the incoming Fanatics uniform takeover I decided to do a redesign of the NHL. This will be part what I expect to see/What I would like to see. C&C welcome as always

signature2

Anaheim Ducks

I created these before the release today and I gotta say I'm shocked at how close I was. I think going orange was the correct path to take; I think it looks better than the eggplant and jade IMO. I did go with black equipment however. Having the orange equipment feels overwhelming. I did also come up with a black alternate that uses the striping orientation from the original Ducks uniform, but with the placement and coloring of their previous uniforms. 

ANARDA

• Like 3
signature2

• johne9109 changed the title to 2024 NHL Redesign (1/32 Ducks Added)

Boston Bruins

We knew the Bruins would be going back to their previous uniforms and I am perfectly ok with that. The one change I wanted them to make was keeping the yellow B on the black jersey and the black B on the white jersey which is what I did here. I also brought back the yellow socks; something that was distinctly Bruins until the change over to Adidas. For the alternate I took the amazing alternate from this past season and made yellow the primary color. 

BOSRDa

• Like 4
signature2

• johne9109 changed the title to 2024 NHL Redesign (2/32 Bruins Added)

I like Boston a lot. Very classic look, big fan of those off-white and brown for the alternate. I like Anaheim too but I think the colour balance on the road white is off to me. Maybe orange numbers or a less thick orange hem? But it's solid, work well as a set. :)

Look forward to seeing the rest!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jack Holmes said:

I like Boston a lot. Very classic look, big fan of those off-white and brown for the alternate. I like Anaheim too but I think the colour balance on the road white is off to me. Maybe orange numbers or a less thick orange hem? But it's solid, work well as a set. :)

Look forward to seeing the rest!

Orange numbers was the way to go; good call

ANARD2

signature2

Buffalo Sabres

This might upset some people but I don't like that the Sabres prominently use a buffalo in their logos. Buffalo is where they're from not the name of the team. So the main change to the sabre is that I took the buffalo out of their logo made the sabres larger and added  buffalo wordmark. I also don't care for how the home and way designs don't match up so I left the away mostly untouched and made the home match with yellow shoulders and changing the striping. Another thing I'll probably get flak for is that I don't care for the goathead logo or jerseys. However, I do think it works a little bit better in blue and gold than it does in black and red. So I did employ it in the alternate uniform . I know that contradicts what I said about not liking them using it, but I feel it gets a pass when it's only used in an alternate capacity. The striping is done to give it a feel of horns coming across the front of the jersey and up the sleeves. I also went back their 00's era dark blue and gold to help it stand out against the home

BUFRDa

signature2

• johne9109 changed the title to 2024 NHL Redesign (3/32 Sabres Added)

Calgary Flames

From what we've seen the Flames are not making any changes to their uniforms. However I do think the Flames could make some improvements to their look. I've said for years that the Flames should add orange into their color scheme and that's what I did here. The striping stays essentially the same; just with orange taking the place of the white in the striping. The alternate takes things a little bit further. It reintroduces black as a tertiary color as well as adding a orange flame stripe to the sleeves. I wanted something a little more direct than the gray on black flames that they have on their current alternate, but not something way too over the top that it becomes tacky; I think this design finds that balance.

CGYRDa

signature2

• johne9109 changed the title to 2024 NHL Redesign (4/32 Flames Added)

Really like what you've done with the crest and striping on Calgary's home! The orange really pops, makes the whole set look more red and aflame. Sabres third is also really nice, love that shade of blue, works well with the goathead! Big goathead fan, to be honest. Not sure they need the Buffalo script on the home and road but I like the thought behind it. 

Also the orange numbers on Anaheim look good. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Holmes said:

Really like what you've done with the crest and striping on Calgary's home! The orange really pops, makes the whole set look more red and aflame. Sabres third is also really nice, love that shade of blue, works well with the goathead! Big goathead fan, to be honest. Not sure they need the Buffalo script on the home and road but I like the thought behind it. 

Also the orange numbers on Anaheim look good. 

Thanks! I put the word mark on the Sabres logo because it looks really bare without anything in the open space up top

sabres copy

signature2

8 hours ago, johne9109 said:

Thanks! I put the word mark on the Sabres logo because it looks really bare without anything in the open space up top

sabres copy

Now it just looks plain without the script or even the buffalo itself. I get that you want to emphasise the team name more than the city they play in, but you didn't make the right call here. Leaving the top part plain makes the whole design plainer than it should. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FCMacbeth said:

Now it just looks plain without the script or even the buffalo itself. I get that you want to emphasise the team name more than the city they play in, but you didn't make the right call here. Leaving the top part plain makes the whole design plainer than it should. 

That's why I went with the wordmark and didn't leave it plain. I put it here to show why I put the wordmark in the first place

signature2

The wordmark looks awkwardly tacked on since it doesn't fit neatly with the circle or the swords. That logo wasn't designed to work without the buffalo so it's unbalanced. Take a look at this logo for a better example of what you want:

35.png

The swords cross neatly in the middle, they're not leaving a huge amount of space empty near the top. This specific logo has plenty of issues itself, mostly stemming from ugly early-2000s over-detailing, but it accomplishes what you want much better than either the plain current logo or the version with the wordmark.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

17 hours ago, sky1324 said:

The wordmark looks awkwardly tacked on since it doesn't fit neatly with the circle or the swords. That logo wasn't designed to work without the buffalo so it's unbalanced. Take a look at this logo for a better example of what you want:

35.png

The swords cross neatly in the middle, they're not leaving a huge amount of space empty near the top. This specific logo has plenty of issues itself, mostly stemming from ugly early-2000s over-detailing, but it accomplishes what you want much better than either the plain current logo or the version with the wordmark.

In a perfect world yes a completely new logo would be developed because like you said the 00's redesign is overly designed and shape of the sabers is off.  I like the wordmark personally for this project. Thanks for the feedback

signature2

Carolina Hurricanes

From what we've seen the Canes aren't employing any changes and are going to carry over their modge podge of jerseys. I do think with the logos they sent out to fans they are looking at a total rebrand, but not just yet. So I took one of those logos (the one I though was the best of the bunch and will probably be retooled) and used that to replace any of the current logos/wordmarks. I really like the negative space being employed with this logo as it feels like a nod to their days as the Whalers. I also dropped red as the main color and went with a gray as it feels more in like with the Hurricane name. for the striping I brought back the warning flag striping; something they never should've dropped. Normally for the alternate I would do a Whalers jersey, but I wanted to do something distinctly Carolina with the intent that a Whalers heritage would still be worn. The alternate takes one of the wordmarks that was included with the potential logos and puts that front and center. Normally I don't like wordmarks except for the Rangers, but Carolina seems intent on using some sort of wordmark jersey so here it is. Black becomes the main color for the alternate with gray and red becoming tertiary colors. 

CARRDa

signature2

• johne9109 changed the title to 2024 NHL Redesign (5/32 Hurricanes Added)

Chicago Blackhawks

Probably a bit controversial here, but I have completely dropped the Blackhawks red jersey. Now I don't foresee them actually doing this or ever really going through a rebrand, but with them being called the BLACKhawks I feel if they were to come into the league today they would have black as their main color. So that's what I did; I made the home and away match and made the home primary color black essentially reviving their alternate from 96-09. The alternate is their uniform from 34-37 with a slightly modified crest.

CHIRDA

signature2

• johne9109 changed the title to 2024 NHL Redesign (6/32 Blackhawks Added)

Colorado Avalanche 

Probably another hot take, but I've never cared for the Avalanches look; especially their logo. It feels like it needs some sort of an update. So when looking for redesigns of the logo I came across this logo that was created during the original design process for the Avs. I don't think it's perfect but I do like it more. The other big change is to the striping. I like the mountain motif, but the way it is currently employed is tired at this point. So what I did was change it to horizontal striping instead. I think changing to blue equipment was a vast improvement over the black so I kept that. I also think their current third is extremely bland. So I took their colors and applied it to a Colorado Rockies uniform. I think that's a nice way for them to pay respect to the past while still keeping it uniquely Avalanche. On a side note I would love to see the Avs start doing what Carolina does and have a heritage night where they break out Nordiques uniforms. Maybe even pit them in a Winter Classic

COLRDA

• Like 1
signature2

• johne9109 changed the title to 2024 NHL Redesign (7/32 Avalanche Added)

Columbus Blue Jackets

If I could choose one team to get a rebrand with Fanatics taking over it's the Blue Jackets. Their design is outplayed and their logo is not good. I like many other people would love to see them employ the cannon logo so that's what I did here. I did keep their color scheme as that fits their motif very well, but I removed the vertical stripes replaced them with horizontal stripes as well as adding the red cuff at the bottom of the sleeves. The cannon logo is recolored and made the main logo; while their current logo is now their secondary logo on the shoulders. Their current alternate stays as is; as it is their best uniform

CBJRDA

signature2

• johne9109 changed the title to 2024 NHL Redesign (8/32 Blue Jackets Added)