What If...

jrh31584

I was bored recently so I've been trying to figure out how franchises in baseball would have shifted had MLB allowed the Browns to move to LA in 1952. Here's what I have so far:

1952: St. Louis Browns -> Los Angeles Angels

Washington Senators -> San Francisco Seals

1953: Boston Braves -> Milwaukee Braves

1955: Philadelphia A's -> Kansas City A's

1956: New York Giants -> Minnesota Millers

Not sure where to go from here...

I was bored recently so I've been trying to figure out how franchises in baseball would have shifted had MLB allowed the Browns to move to LA in 1952. Here's what I have so far:

1952: St. Louis Browns -> Los Angeles Angels

Washington Senators -> San Francisco Seals

1953: Boston Braves -> Milwaukee Braves

1955: Philadelphia A's -> Kansas City A's

1956: New York Giants -> Minnesota Millers

Not sure where to go from here...

Well, if the Browns moved to LA then the Giants would still probably be in New York. What happened was O'Malley wanted a new stadium in Brooklyn and the city wouldn't give it to them, they offered him land in Queens (Where shea Stradium is) After, deciding to move to LA he convinced the Giants owner to move to LA so he wouldn't be the only one. They Giants probably would have been better off in NY (Not saying SF is a bad market it isn't, they would have gotten a expansion team). If the Dodgers would have left for la or another market under this scenario then that would have left the Giants as the only NL team left in New York. With a history and tradition they would be able to compete with the Yankees for fans unlike the current Mets do.

Under your scenario, I would say it would have been the Dodgers to Minnesota and the Giants still in NY.

An interesting bit of potential alternate history you pose here. My take:

- The Browns are moved to Los Angeles for 1954.

- The Braves move to Milwaukee occurs unchanged.

- Emboldened by the Browns relocation, the Philadephia A's back their bags following the 1955 season and head west to tap into the bay area market - in San Francisco.

- In 1957, when he threatens to move the Dodgers to Los Angeles, the city of Brooklyn caves and gives Walter O'Malley everything he asks for to keep the team in the city. Horace Stoneham and his New York Giants, having no reason to head west, stay put as well.

- In 1960, realizing that baseball wouldn't expand into new markets, the Continental League is formed with franchises in New York, Houston, Minneapolis, Denver, Los Angeles, and other cities ignored by MLB. Initially lauded thanks to Branch Rickey's involvement, the league eventually dies, with some franchises (Minneapolis and Los Angeles) being absorbed by MLB into the American League.

- The New York Mets, Los Angeles Angels, and Minnesota Twins, at least as MLB entities (though possibly CL teams) are never born.

- In an effort to take the CL head-on, in 1961 the Washington Senators become... the (Houston) Texas Rangers.

From there, expansion proceeds roughly same as it did. The Braves move to Atlanta but eventually get the Brewers, 1969 brings expansion in the form of Montreal, San Diego, Kansas City and Seattle, etc., etc.

nav-logo.png

I think if that happened and exapnsion and absorbition happened this will be how the Majors would look today.

NL East

1. Atlanta Braves

2. Brooklyn Dodgers

3. Florida Marlins 1993

4. Montreal Expos set to move to Washington

5. New Jersey Giants (Relocated in 1980)

6. Philadelphia Phillies

NL Central

1. Chicago Cubs

2. Cincinnati Reds

3. Milwaukee Brewers 1969 expansion

4. Pittsburgh Pirates

5. St. Louis Cardinals

NL West

1. Arizona Diamondbacks 1998

2. Colorado Rockies 1993

3. Houston Astos (Absorbed from CL 1964)

4. Hollywood Stars (Absorbed from CL 1964)

5. San Diego Padres 1969 expansion

AL East

1. Baltimore Orioles 1969 Expansion

2. Boston Red Sox

3. New York Yankees

4. Tampa Bay Devil Rays 1998

5. Toronto Blue Jays 1977

AL Central

1. Chicago White Sox

2. Cleveland Indians

3. Detroit Tigers

4. Kansas City Royals (Absorbed from CL 1964)

5. Minnesota Twins (Formely Washington Nats)

AL West

1. Los Angeles Angels (Formerly St. Louis Browns)

2. San Francisco Athletics Relocated from Philly 1954

2. Seattle Mariners 1977 Expansion

3. Texas Rangers (Absorbed from CL 1964, formerly Washingoton Senators)

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived