All-Star Cricket

Alphabet Man

yep, the Australian Cricketers Association (ACA) has put a proposal forward to raise money for the Tsunami victims. There are options been released.

Australia v Rest of the World (Australia being the No. 1 in the world)

or

Anzacs (Australia & New Zealand, also No. 1 & 2 in the world)) v Rest of the World

England and South Africa will not be represented as they are currently in a 5 Test series in South Africa.

The game would be played at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) and would be a One-Dayer.

One-day Cricket usually draws alot of crowds in Australia and gets good ratings on TV and draws a lot of corporate and sponsors dollars.

It is going to held on the week startign Jan 10 as the Australians and Pakistans have Test in Sydney starting Jan 2. This can only be good news, money being raised to donate to the victims of the Tsunami, Australia two days ago donated all its prize money from its 9 wicket win over Pakistan to aid companies. As did England i believe.

The Rest of the World teams are:

West Indies

Pakistan

India

Sri Lanka

Pakistan

Zimbabwe

Kenya

of these countries 11 best players will be selected plus one 12th man. [cough]Brett Lee[/cough]

Depending on which proposal goes ahead, New Zealand will also be represented, but Australia will definately be represented

ACA and Cricket Australia (CA) have been in meetings most of today regardign the possibilty of this fixture, with video link-up with International Cricket Council (ICC). The only reason that it won't go ahead is ground availablity, which should not be a problem as they can just move the Victorian state games off to Junction Oval for the game.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

but the South Africans, let them win so they can say they donated sometihng.....

Ha ha definitely not! Maybe they still have some match throwing profits they can send!

Anyways its very good seeing cricket take such an active part in the charity side of the disaster, especially as two countries that rely on cricket so much, India nad Sri Lanka have been so badly affected!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It's all confirmed for Jan 10 at the G. ICC XI (Aust/NZ/WI) vs Asian XI (India/Pak/SL/Bangladesh). Return match somewhere in Asia (probably Eden Gardens or a big venue like that) in a couple of months when the England and South Africa players can join the ICC XI.

Richard Hadlee and Steve Waugh are organising the ICC XI and I guess the Asian Cricket Council will announce their team on Monday. They'll only need to fly in a half dozen or so players as Pakistan are already in the country. West Indies will be here by Jan 10 anyway for their tour and the NZ players can arrive in a matter of hours if needed.

Warney might even come out of retirement for the day apparently ^_^

liverpool-1.png

I personally believe it would have been a better idea to have Australia versus the World. It may seem like I'm just saying that because I'm an Aussie, but hear me out! :)

- The current ICC XI would get beaten by the current Aussie team any day. There are a few selections in the XI that were made not on form, but because they wanted to spread it out around the participating countries. Dwayne Bravo? Come on! The only person from the ICC XI who would be good enough to make it into the Aussie side would be Stephen Fleming, and even he would have trouble.

- If the Aussies were one team, that means the World team has the entire world from which to pick players. You would have Tendulkar, Dravid, Lara, Fleming, Muralitharan, Akhtar... all in the one team.

So both sides would actually improve, making it more appealing to spectators. The only question would be people like Michael Kasprowitz who, even though he is one of the best bowlers in the world at the moment, doesn't have as much of a crowd-grabbing personality as some of the other players in the world.

But I think it's such a small negative that it would be negligable.

Plattopus, you seriously couldn't find a place for Brian Lara in the Australian team? Chris Cairns would also walk into our one-day team in place of Watson/Symonds/Harvey.

Lara is in doubt apparently to play so I wonder who'll replace him if he's out?

liverpool-1.png

The players are....

ICC team (from) 1 Ricky Ponting (Aust), 2 Matthew Hayden (Aust), 3 Adam Gilchrist (Aust), 4 Stephen Fleming (NZ), 5 Brian Lara (WI), 6 Chris Gayle (WI), 7 Chris Cairns (NZ), 8 Shane Warne (Aust), 9 Glenn McGrath (Aust), 10 Dwayne Bravo (WI), 11 Darren Gough (Eng), 12 Daniel Vettori (NZ).

Coach/manager: Steve Waugh (Aust).

Asia team (from) Sourav Ganguly (Ind, capt), Sanath Jayasuriya (SL), Virender Sehwag (Ind), Sachin Tendulkar (Ind), Marvan Atapattu (SL), Rahul Dravid (Ind), Yousuf Youhana (Pak), Alok Kapali (Bang), Kumar Sangakkara (SL, wk), Chaminda Vaas (SL), Shoaib Akhtar (Pak), Anil Kumble (Ind), Muttiah Muralitharan (SL) and Zaheer Khan (Ind).

Warne is coming out of ODI retirement for the match, Shoaib Akhtar got injured yesterday and may not take his place in the team

TV:

Channel 9 will use the match as part of a day-long telethon to raise money for Tsunami victims, they will show the match LIVE aroudn Australia

ESPN may televise the game LIVE aroudn the World except in Australia

I think India may get another network to televise the game

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Archived