Old-Time Hockey

CMUBrent

Hey, Danbury dude, Give Back Belanger!!!

You can have him back after we get done with the playoffs...just as long as we don't get that mullet-wearing cancer Duhart back in the process :lol:

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

If the rumors are true, Danbury can have Robbie Nichols. Generals fans don't want him back. 542.gif542.gif

agreed I hear you 100%, and HCE, don't talk about my boy Duhart like that. He is one of my favorite players in the U

sorry, lilg...but after his little act in Danbury this year, it really soured me on him...I don't mind if a guy asks for a trade and all, but to whine and complain in the process about NOT being the #1 dog (he should have known that with the likes of Brent Gretzky and Brad Wingfield being there) and the such, I have zero use for him...we'll just agree to disagree on the subject of Jim Duhart.

As for Robbie Nichols coming to Danbury...it's news to me...he's not a bad guy personally, but as a coach, I think I'd be MUCH happier with the likes of Todd Stirling behind the bench :lol:

FANTASY TEAMS

If the rumors are true, Danbury can have Robbie Nichols. Generals fans don't want him back. 542.gif542.gif

agreed I hear you 100%, and HCE, don't talk about my boy Duhart like that. He is one of my favorite players in the U

Yea, Duhart is friggin' awesome.

wjrt_101701_athlete_o_week.jpg

As for Robbie Nichols coming to Danbury...it's news to me...he's not a bad guy personally, but as a coach, I think I'd be MUCH happier with the likes of Todd Stirling behind the bench :lol:

I don't want Nichols in Flint anymore, after a couple first round exits, and not making the playoffs in 3 out of 5 years. HE NEEDS TO GO!

Let's take it to a vote, who hates the so-called "Evil Empire" in Danbury. :evil:

I don't hate Danbury. But, if Nichols does become the GM/Coach of the Trashers, I'll pity them. ;)

at least he'll be off our hands

At least u r not stuck with Donny Martin for the next two season...ugh!!! :mad:

Now I have pity for the Richmond peeps....

Yep, go ahead and let Langway walk after he leads the team to a division championship and bring in Martin, who can't coach his way out of a paper bag...better yet, give him a 2 year extension to boot :)

FANTASY TEAMS

That's alright...U can pity us if all u want. But, as soon as we get back Francis Belanger, make some great off-season signings, and help McIntyre in his rehab. We'll be back on the top once again. Now, I wish Danbury good luck in the playoffs even though they have given us a lot of lip. But, it is a great feeling when u know your team has a shot to win the title. But, next season, I expect us to make a turn around.

That's alright...U can pity us if all u want. But, as soon as we get back Francis Belanger, make some great off-season signings, and help McIntyre in his rehab. We'll be back on the top once again. Now, I wish Danbury good luck in the playoffs even though they have given us a lot of lip. But, it is a great feeling when u know your team has a shot to win the title. But, next season, I expect us to make a turn around.

I fully expect it too..Richmond and Elmira were too talented on paper to be as down in the standings as they were...it's been a fun ride this year, but I darn well know it ain't gonna be like this all the time :lol:

Just as long as you guys can knock Adirondack down a few pegs as well, it'll work for me ;):lol:

FANTASY TEAMS

If I were the Roanoke fans, I wouldn't want the new team to be called Rebels, Lancers or Express. Those are fine names, but I fully expect the Dixons (Vipers owners) to screw up royally in Roanoke like they did in Port Huron.

Hopefully the Vipers logo won't be like the Beacons alternate logo and have a stick shooting out from the snake's groin.  :shocked:  :blink:

The Dixon's got booed Saturday night too. The reason why we wanted Lancers and Rebels were because that was Roanoke/Salem/Vinton hockey from the 60's til the early 90's. They started in Salem as the Rebels, moved to Vinton became the Lancers and in the mid 90's moved to Roanoke to become the Express. Moved is a loose term, Roanoke, Vinton and Salem are about 7 miles apart. I live only a few minutes from Salem.

The commish after getting booed, got really offensive after he introduced the team name. He kept saying if you want hockey to survive in Roanoke you need to embrace the Viper name. No you need to make tickets affoardable for local area economy. 10 bucks was the cheapest ticket they had. I have heard stories on the local news about the Dixon family and how impatient they are if they don't get their way with things. Good luck because you have some stiff competition in the fall. High School football, Virginia Tech football, Blacksburg is only 25 miles away, and the new kid on the block Virginia Tech basketball, joining the ACC really put a jolt in their attendence this year.

The announced attendence was 4000 bull crap, 2000 max, there was a salem avalanche game with fireworks and Tech had a scrimmage. Salem drew 5500 Friday night alone. I give them 2 to 3 years max and the Dixon's will be asking to relocate again.

Wow, talk about getting off to a good start in a new town! :blink: You would think that the commish would think twice before talking like that to a new fanbase. Then again, we're talking about Commissioner Costanza...I mean Brosal. :rolleyes:

I heard that season tickets for the Vipers were as high as $530 on another board. For the UHL, that's ridiculous. I wouldn't pay more than $350 for season tix for Double A hockey.

As for the Dixons, those stories about them are probably true. Don't expect to see the Dixons at a lot of home games, they were consistent no-shows in Port Huron. I wouldn't expect the Vipers to be advertised that much locally either. When questioned about the lack of advertisement for the Beacons, a team rep said something about how they advertised in the Detroit News. That's all fine and dandy, but how about advertising more in the PORT HURON AREA!?

At first, I was disappointed the Beacons didn't use the Flags nickname. Three years later, I'm glad they didn't, as they would have tarnished that name like Dr. Shukairy and Bernard Bubanic did in Saginaw with "Gears". So, it's probably a good thing that the Dixons didn't get their hands on Rebels, Lancers or Express.

I agree, 2-3 years tops, then they'll be on the move again. If that happens, maybe Roanoke will get another chance like PH did. :)

I will check and see how much season tickets are as soon as they announce where the freaking team offices are. For the revealing to be such a hyped up event saturday night it was a piss poor presentation to say the least.

Thanks for the info about the team and the owners Brent I will keep you posted on how things go with advertising and promotion since the season is over. If they didn't advertise for the two games this past weekend i am pretty sure they won't doing the offseason.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

That's alright...U can pity us if all u want.  But, as soon as we get back Francis Belanger, make some great off-season signings, and help McIntyre in his rehab.  We'll be back on the top once again.  Now, I wish Danbury good luck in the playoffs even though they have given us a lot of lip.  But, it is a great feeling when u know your team has a shot to win the title.  But, next season, I expect us to make a turn around.

I fully expect it too..Richmond and Elmira were too talented on paper to be as down in the standings as they were...it's been a fun ride this year, but I darn well know it ain't gonna be like this all the time :lol:

Just as long as you guys can knock Adirondack down a few pegs as well, it'll work for me ;):lol:

But, the thing that killed us the most was in fact the injuries. I think if we would have made the playoffs if it wasn't for that. Plus, Martin made some stupid in-game desicions, especially with goaltending. I swear it, I do not know how many times McIntyre or Grobins needed to be in net when Belecki was.

No problem, VaTechSucks. Hopefully the Vipers will be more successful than the Beacons were. But, since the Dixons are still the owners, I have serious doubts. :(

As for the Flags, I've heard that they already have orders down for 500 or so season tickets for next year. Not bad for a franchise that's about 3 weeks old. :blink: Before training camp this year, the Beacons had a promotion to try and sell season tix. One of their players, Mat Goody, camped out at McMorran Arena and was not allowed to shave, shower or leave the building until the team sold 2000 tickets for the opener or 800 season tickets before the start of training camp.

The Results:

Season Tickets sold: 422

Opener Tickets sold: 812

As you can see, they fell way short of their goal.

So, if that's the total amount the Beacons sold this past year, the Flags blew them out of the water in a matter of weeks. :lol:

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

No problem, VaTechSucks. Hopefully the Vipers will be more successful than the Beacons were. But, since the Dixons are still the owners, I have serious doubts. :(

As for the Flags, I've heard that they already have orders down for 500 or so season tickets for next year. Not bad for a franchise that's about 3 weeks old. :blink: Before training camp this year, the Beacons had a promotion to try and sell season tix. One of their players, Mat Goody, camped out at McMorran Arena and was not allowed to shave, shower or leave the building until the team sold 2000 tickets for the opener or 800 season tickets before the start of training camp.

The Results:

Season Tickets sold: 422

Opener Tickets sold: 812

As you can see, they fell way short of their goal.

So, if that's the total amount the Beacons sold this past year, the Flags blew them out of the water in a matter of weeks. :lol:

I still do not see it happening with the Vipers but stranger things have happened. The Express ownership group spent money but they pissed so many corporate sponsors off due to shady deals that by the start of last season, corporate advertising was just about non existant. The ECHL forced the Express owners to sell or they would forfit the franchise.

The original asking price was just over a million but quickly dwindled as interest faded. The news reported right before the league deadline the asking price was down to 100,000 and an extra 35,000 or 50,000 to retire the previous ownership groups debt to the civic center and around Roanoke. Even at 135k or the price of a decent home in Roanoke not one person budged. The league forfited Roanoke and Greensboro on the same day.

One problem for the Dixon's from the start is the facilities, the Roanoke Civic Center point blank is a dump. It looks just as crappy today as it did when it opened in the 70's. It is in a less than deseriable part of town right off the interstate. The staff is quite rude and could give two terds less if your tickets are right or wrong, the civic center staff works for the city of roanoke not the arena itself which is the main part of the problem.

From what I read the Dixon's first choice was Salem, the redheaded step child to Roanoke, but Salem didn't want hockey anymore, they didn't have ice making capabilites anymore and they didn't have time to mess with hockey. Salem is where all the Division 3 championships are held aka Stagg Bowl, I only live 5 minutes from the complex and it is in a very nice part of town. Salem's building is older but they spend the money to update it as necessary instead of spending 10 years to do focus group studies like Roanoke does.

If Salem would have accepted the Vipers this would be a dead issue. Salem supports their sports period, on any friday night during football season the Avalanche will have about 5000 while the football game will have about 10k. We will have to play the wait and see game.

skinsboys4lf7pe.jpg

I don't exactly have the greatest of hopes for the Vipers surviving very long...not because of the market, but more with my complete lack of faith in the owners...

Brent's right...the Dixons are by far the WORST thing that could have happened for this team, IMO. Talked to quite a few Port Huron folks when I was out there last weekend (and Brent, this would be a SERIOUS tip-off as to who I am over at ITB :lol: ) and to a man (or woman) were very glad to see them go...

Example: At the last home game, the Beacons had an auction for their game jerseys. Normally, the proceeds for these types of events goes to a worthy area charity. What do the Dixons do? Pocket the money :)

Needless to say quite a few of the players on the Beacons were NOT pleased about this..so much so that they gave their jerseys to folks they knew in the Blue Water area just to spite the owners...

For my sake, I hope the Dixons prove me wrong and the Vipers thrive in Roanoke...would hate to see a good market like that go down the tubes because of fluffing bad ownership...

FANTASY TEAMS

I don't exactly have the greatest of hopes for the Vipers surviving very long...not because of the market, but more with my complete lack of faith in the owners...

Brent's right...the Dixons are by far the WORST thing that could have happened for this team, IMO. Talked to quite a few Port Huron folks when I was out there last weekend (and Brent, this would be a SERIOUS tip-off as to who I am over at ITB :lol: ) and to a man (or woman) were very glad to see them go...

Example:  At the last home game, the Beacons had an auction for their game jerseys.  Normally, the proceeds for these types of events goes to a worthy area charity.  What do the Dixons do?  Pocket the money :)

Needless to say quite a few of the players on the Beacons were NOT pleased about this..so much so that they gave their jerseys to folks they knew in the Blue Water area just to spite the owners...

For my sake, I hope the Dixons prove me wrong and the Vipers thrive in Roanoke...would hate to see a good market like that go down the tubes because of fluffing bad ownership...

Yeah, you pretty much blew your cover, HatCityEnforcer. :lol:

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

I went to the game Saturday night where they announced Roanoke's team name, the UHL commish was there and was quite pissed at the crowd reaction to Vipers. There were a few cheers but the majority of the 3000 people there were booing.

The team colors are black, purple and silver no logo was released. Roanoke Valley didn't bother the people, the Vipers part is what set everyone off. Roanoke is an old railroad town and called the star city of the south. Most of the people around us were hoping for a return of the Rebels, Lancers or the Express the previous ECHL franchise.

I know how Roanoke supports pro sports, the NBDL franchise is on the verge of moving or being removed from the league due to poor attendance, I give 3 years max before the team packs up and moves. The only rival for Roanoke is Richmond, the next closet team is almost 1000 miles away.

I loved going to see the Express take on old ECHL teams like Richmond, Raleigh, Greensboro and the most hated rival Hampton Roads. Everytime they played hampton or richmond it was a sell out, it got so heated a few times the fans got into it with each other. Good old fashioned, ass kicking hockey.

If you was at that game I would like to no why you are telling these people out and out lies about the things that took place there. 1. The crowd was not pissed about anything.2.They were crazy about the name.3. the colors are great and well recived. 4.Their was well over 4000 at the game. 5. And most people are ready to move away from the Express and Railroad thing.6. you said Everytime they played hampton or richmond it was a sell out, it got so heated a few times the fans got into it with each other. Good old fashioned, ass kicking hockey.That statment was not true we have not had but (one) sellout in the last 20 years of hockey in Roanoke.Most of the fans got along fine may have been a few like yourself but they were few.7. The Dixons were not booed at the game at all. So why don't you spread these lies on some other list, or maybe come to the games and tell the truth about what you see and here.. :evil:

Archived