Stern wants age limit raise to 20 for NBA

paynomind

It isn't racist, but it is dumb. Little more than a protectionist effort for the NBA to protect its free farm system, the NCAA.

If they ever adopt it, it'll wind up in the courts, a la the NFL and Maurice whats-his-name. Unlike the NFL though, the NBA is less likely to get their rule upheld.

nav-logo.png

I guess Jermaine was right.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, protect the rights of minors to "ball it" or "hoop it up", and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

I think O'Neil may have something of a point in that the reason young kids choose the NBA over college is financial I would have thouhgt. I would imagine that even with a scholarship, an 18 year old going to college, particularly from an african-american background, is gonna struggle financially, almost to the point of it not being possibility. How is that kid gonna get to the NBA without having played college basketball?

O'Neil may be making the probably correct assumption that Stern and his rich white buddies have not taken that into account.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

One thing I forgot to mention I think it is good for some of the players that don't succeed right out of high school. College is less of a jump and they can develop more. Also I can see where O'Neal is saying that they need to support their familes. But I think their familes could rough it out at least two more year. What would happen if one the high school picks got a career ending injury at his first game. His family would actually be worse off because he would be getting payed the big bucks and probably wont get a good job if he only has a high school education.

Does everyone forget the average Rookie contract is worth around 3-4 million dollars. So a guy who gets a career ending injury doesn't really need to worry about a job. If he is wise that would be $50,00 a year for the next SIXTY years. That's good money with a college degree.

If he wants to go to college after his career ender he can still afford. Plus, he'll also get a better education cause he won't be bothered with practice and games.

Isn't it also true that most of the guys who eventually choose to go pro couldn't get into a big time program like they would want to, because of grades.

To me it doesn't matter. In a sport where only 12 guys make the team, those who don't/didn't deserve to be there will be cut. Also, the scholarship they passed up will go to someone who probably will benefit more from it then the guy who passed it up.

The whole age limit thing stinks like the NHLPA and the lockout. The upper end players just trying to protect their own ass. The NBA union will give in just to protect some roster spots for aging vets that no longer belong there.

Anyway, it is just a sport. It's not like they are performing brain surgery. Why do you need college or a specific age to play ANY sport. A sport should run by the law of the jungle, "Only the fittest survive". Regardless of age, color, or education.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Archived