Center line in text?

wurldwyde

I don't know what else to call it, so I'll try and be as descriptive as I can. Does anyone have any quick and easy methods for adding a centering line to text? Essentially, just create a single pixel line in the exact path of the text? I've just been drawing it by hand, but depending on the complexity of the text, it can get time consuming, and inaccurate in places.

Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here's the best example I could find. Other teams use this to create a guide to add bevel effects.

text.gif

I use Corel for my designs so bear with my terminology, but my first thought would be to convert the text to curves, remove the "endcaps" so each shape is two parallel outlines, and separate each outline into its own object. Then I would contour one of the outlines half the width of the original stroke. You would then have to clean up the result since it will offset on both sides of your outline, and you only want the part that will be on the inside of your letter. It seems like it could get pretty complicated, so it may usually just be easier to do by hand.

LT

Wouldn't a cheap and easy way to do it be:

Increase the stroke (Outline) to a larger than normal number, set it to inside instead of outside.

This means instead of a black numeral with a tiny white center line. You've got a white number with a HUGE black interior outline.

Then convert the numerals to objects and manually extent the white portion to the edges to complete the effect?

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

You can make a pretty darn accurate pinline through letters with good use of the shift key, and lots of eyeballing. I did it to my Jays concept under the title "Concept of the Week" and it was not that terribly difficult.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

You can make a pretty darn accurate pinline through letters with good use of the shift key, and lots of eyeballing. I did it to my Jays concept under the title "Concept of the Week" and it was not that terribly difficult.

Do you use Illustrator? If so, what does the shift key do for you? I use Corel but maybe I would like to explore whether it has the same tool somewhere.

LT

Archived