More relocation on nll horizon...

Brian in Boston

In the wake of the Albany Attack's setting up shop in San Jose and the New Jersey Storm's move to Anaheim, it now appears likely that two other teams will be relocating.

The owner of the Columbus Landsharks is rumored to be eyeing a move to Phoenix. Apparently he'll broker a move similar to both the Attack and Storm venue changes. He'll maintain some percentage of ownership, while selling off a piece of the team to the arena management group and/or NHL franchise in Phoenix (Glendale, AZ). The arena management team and the NHL franchise will then be responsible for the day-to-day operation of the franchise. Interestingly, originally the Storm appeared headed to Phoenix. They were still exploring the opportunity as recently as last week. However, the new partners there were leary of getting into a business relationship with Jayson Williams given his upcoming trial on manslughter charges.

In addition, the owners of the Ottawa Rebel are contemplating a shift to London, Ontario. They are apparently still in the research stage of the process.

Brian in Boston

From Ottawa to... London?  How odd.

What's with all these moves out west?  I can't imagine there being a large amount of lacrosse in California or Arizona.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Ottawa to London does seem odd considering very few people in the US actually knows there is a place called London, Ontario. As for the facillity, John Labatt Centre has 9 000 seats, a couple of thousand less than Ottawa Civic Centre. Considering the wages and the increasing cost of travel now with more than one west coast team. I think anywhere between 6000-full capacity would be acceptable. But how long would the team stay in London? Depends on the growth of the NLL.

I think a better move would be to either Boston, Detroit, or even Grand Rapids in my opinion.

As for lacrosse in the West Coast. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a substantial amount of people playing lacrosse. Field lacrosse can be played year-round.

There must be a number of colleges that offer women's lacrosse thanks to Title IX. (Why the Roman numerals?)  :angry:

I saw, I came, I left.

This is all really interesting...I know the dormant Montreal franchise was eyeing a move to Edmonton, and originally the Rebel were a shoe-in to move to Winnipeg in time for the new building...

London? I dunno...I thought the Knights wanted sole control of the Labatt Centre...unless there was a change of heart somewhere down the line...

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived