Boston New York Font

Side37

So I had a design gig for a venue in Brooklyn and I was determined to use a font like the Red Sox or Mets use -- a classic baseball typeface that was much more popular in the '30s and '40s. Chicago, Brooklyn, and several other teams used some version of it, but I couldn't find an existing font. The closest I came was a bootleg version of Dennis Ortiz-Lopez's Red Sox font, which I'm not a big fan of anyway.

I decided to make my own typeface. With the project done, I'm now finishing up the rest of the library. Here's a sneak peek of a few letters.

Matt

nybos_sample.gif

I didn't realize NY and Boston had the same fonts. That's a little ironic.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I used MLB Tucsan for this:

tokyo.gif

But stiill, you did a great job.

Thanks Poot,

Yeah, that's the bootleg version of Dennis Ortiz-Lopez's font. He created propietary font for the Boston Red Sox that got renamed MLB Tuscan by someone.

http://ortiz-lopez.com/OLP06.html

He's also done fonts for the Astros, Brewers, and Pirates. He's really good but not exactly what I was looking for. It kinda' looks like he took Impact and added tuscan style serifs to it. I'm going for a more hand drawn feel, like when letters were cut out for jerseys with scissors. =)

Matt

tokyo.gif

Now if I can just finish the lower case letters.

Archived