Which stat proves a player's skill more?

leafs13

Which stat proves a player's skill more?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, what do you think proves a players skill more? Average or On Base Percentage?

My statement still stands.

I also believe it depends on the situation.

For instance, if your looking at a leadoff hitter, OBP might be slightly more important than average. You need that guy to table set.

However, if your looking at a 3-4-5 hitter, you probably want to check a players average just before you check OBP, because walks don't usually drive in runs.

But like I say, and as you can partly take from my short analysis, all the stats have to be looked at as a whole, then with observation, and analysis of the situation, to really figure out the skill of a player.

That said, I can tell your looking for a specific answer. So, though I don't think it means much looking at the stat by itself, I will say I generally put more weight in a players average than OBP. (And I'll go ahead and place a vote that way.)

...However, if your looking at a 3-4-5 hitter, you probably want to check a players average just before you check OBP, because walks don't usually drive in runs...

I don't know about you, but I'll take a walk from my 3, 4, or 5 hitter. And last time I checked, RBI drive in runs not avg.

...However, if your looking at a 3-4-5 hitter, you probably want to check a players average just before you check OBP, because walks don't usually drive in runs...

I don't know about you, but I'll take a walk from my 3, 4, or 5 hitter. And last time I checked, RBI drive in runs not avg.

I'll take a walk too. As I said, it's all gotta be looked at.

RBIs are what a player gets when he drives in a run, but more often than not he's gonna get that RBI via a hit, and average is based on hits.

Really, take my answer of AVG with a grain of salt. Like I said, one stat is meaningless without plenty more stats, observation, and analysis of the situation.

...RBIs are what a player gets when he drives in a run, but more often than not he's gonna get that RBI via a hit, and average is based on hits...

Walks get people on base. Then they get driven in.

And OBP is also based on hits.

...RBIs are what a player gets when he drives in a run, but more often than not he's gonna get that RBI via a hit, and average is based on hits...

Walks get people on base. Then they get driven in.

And OBP is also based on hits.

That's why in the original post I specifically noted the 3-4-5 hitters. Walks are good for them if the hitters behind them can drive them in. However, if you assume that the 1-2 hitters are getting on base via walks fairly often, a hit by the 3-4-5 guys is more likely to drive them in than a walk.

And yes, OBP is based on hits, but it's also based on walks and HBP. You can tell more about how good of a HITTER (not player, not even batter, but HIT-ter) a player is based on average than you can based on on-base percentage.

And yes, OBP is based on hits, but it's also based on walks and HBP. You can tell more about how good of a HITTER (not player, not even batter, but HIT-ter) a player is based on average than you can based on on-base percentage.

That's true.

OPB shows a player's patience at the plate. So you can tell if a player is willing to take a walk to get on base.

So I'm guessing you would rather have Mark Teixeira than Jason Giambi.

Teixeira .290 .361 .548

Giambi .277 .445 .539

leafs, I wouldn't necessarily rather have Texiera, and certainly I wouldn't base it on average.

I'm trying to make it clear to you that I won't let just one stat tell a story. I'll look at loads of stats, observation, and the situation before I take a side.

You however asked me to choose between average or onbase percentage. Reluctantly (because I don't think either can stand on its own) I choose average.

I'd never use just one stat though.

leafs, I wouldn't necessarily rather have Texiera, and certainly I wouldn't base it on average.

I'm trying to make it clear to you that I won't let just one stat tell a story. I'll look at loads of stats, observation, and the situation before I take a side.

You however asked me to choose between average or onbase percentage. Reluctantly (because I don't think either can stand on its own) I choose average.

I'd never use just one stat though.

Okay, have it your way bk.

I have to agree no 1 stat can tell you the true measure of a players skill. The closest thaing is a combo of many stats. If you were to build a team the best way to measure a players skill is your own 2 eyes. Watching the player play is the best way to measure a players skill.

Archived