The New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets

tater

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be just as angry at Tom Benson if he was calling his team the "New Orleans/San Antonio/Baton Rouge Saints". At least attempt to look like you care about the city, Shinn.

Actually gang, its an NBA bylaw that requires him to use OKC in the city name. That's also how we wound up with the KC/Omaha Kings: if a team plays 25% or more of its home schedule outside of its "area of territorial rights", it must incorporate that city's name into the club name.

nav-logo.png

I'd be just as angry at Tom Benson if he was calling his team the "New Orleans/San Antonio/Baton Rouge Saints".  At least attempt to look like you care about the city, Shinn.

Actually gang, its an NBA bylaw that requires him to use OKC in the city name. That's also how we wound up with the KC/Omaha Kings: if a team plays 25% or more of its home schedule outside of its "area of territorial rights", it must incorporate that city's name into the club name.

Then why is New Orleans even a part of the club name? They are playing 85% of their home schedule in Oklahoma City and 15% in Baton Rouge.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I'd be just as angry at Tom Benson if he was calling his team the "New Orleans/San Antonio/Baton Rouge Saints".  At least attempt to look like you care about the city, Shinn.

Then why is New Orleans even a part of the club name? They are playing 85% of their home schedule in Oklahoma City and 15% in Baton Rouge.

I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say its for PR keeping the New Orleans name. They are still a New Orleans team, but they are being displaced, but that is a good point. Maybe so they are not alienating whatever fans they do have from New Orleans?

Archived