Brewers' Cap Logo, etc.

Gothamite

How did this freakin' turn into WWIII??? I mean come on, it's a M with a barley leaf against an M and a B made to look like a glove. The glove logo is genius, and the M is a cool logo as well. They're both good. But good lord, it's not like one looks like it was done by Jesus and the other is just poopity poop. They're both good logos. I'm fine with the decision that they've decided to hear the fans by adding the MB as a alternate uni, but Im also happy that they decided to keep the new unis because it's a solid look as well. But please, for the sake of the board, please keep this to yourselves. We don't need this kind of war every freakin' day. I don't want the Milwaukee Brewers to add "Most Graveyarded Team in CCSLC Board History" to their woeful team history. :P

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, as I said before, that interlocking N-Y has nothing to do with New York (or even America/Uncle Sam), but it is undoubtedly the Yankees.

Actually, the interlocking NY logo has more to do with New York than the Yankees. IIRC, it was first used by the FDNY on a memorial for the first firefighter to die in the line of duty in the history of NYC. Also, that makes it the only logo ever designed by Tiffany's...

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

You're really close, but not quite correct. From the Yankees' site:

What would become the most recognizable insignia in sports the interlocking "NY" made its first appearance on the uniforms of the New York Highlanders in 1909. The design was actually created in 1877 by Louis B. Tiffany for a medal to be given by the New York City Police Department to Officer John McDowell, the first NYC policeman shot in the line of duty. Perhaps because one of the club's owners, Bill Devery, was a former NYC police chief, the design was adopted by the Highlanders. It first appeared on both the cap and on the jersey's left sleeve, replacing the separated "N" and "Y" which had appeared on the left and right breast each season since 1903 with the exception of 1905. For that season only, the "N" and "Y" were merged side by side into a monogram on the left breast actually a forerunner of the now legendary emblem.

Tiffany & Co., the jewelry designers, was founded by Charles Lewis Tiffany, the father of Louis Comfort Tiffany. I know that Louis B. Tiffany, who was a stained-glass artist in his own right as well as a jeweler, is related to them, but I don't remember how.

There's a picture of this medal on the wall in the Stadium Club - next time I get tickets, I'll try and snap a picture.

You're really close, but not quite correct. From the Yankees' site:
What would become the most recognizable insignia in sports the interlocking "NY" made its first appearance on the uniforms of the New York Highlanders in 1909. The design was actually created in 1877 by Louis B. Tiffany for a medal to be given by the New York City Police Department to Officer John McDowell, the first NYC policeman shot in the line of duty. Perhaps because one of the club's owners, Bill Devery, was a former NYC police chief, the design was adopted by the Highlanders. It first appeared on both the cap and on the jersey's left sleeve, replacing the separated "N" and "Y" which had appeared on the left and right breast each season since 1903 with the exception of 1905. For that season only, the "N" and "Y" were merged side by side into a monogram on the left breast actually a forerunner of the now legendary emblem.

Tiffany & Co., the jewelry designers, was founded by Charles Lewis Tiffany, the father of Louis Comfort Tiffany. I know that Louis B. Tiffany, who was a stained-glass artist in his own right as well as a jeweler, is related to them, but I don't remember how.

There's a picture of this medal on the wall in the Stadium Club - next time I get tickets, I'll try and snap a picture.

I knew I was close, but I didn't know I was that close :P

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Archived