Brewers' Cap Logo, etc.

Gothamite

I have no love for the B&G logo, but let them bring it back.  I know I'm in the minority, but I loved the mid-90s look (except the logo itself).  If they would've fielded a team worth a damn, it would have been received better.

If the team doesn't get to the playoffs, the Ball & Glove will finally be out the door as well.  Then they can start fresh.

I tend to agree about the 1996-1999 look. That was the sharpest uniform that Milwaukee's seen since they took the tomohawk off the Braves' jerseys in 1963.

I disagree with the notion that a season out of the playoffs will somehow diminish the Cream City's love affair with the glove logo. They'll have to have an extraordinary run of bad teams wearing it to make a dent. And with hands-down the best farm system in the majors just waiting to be called up, I don't see a repeat of 1994-2005 any time soon.

And no matter what, the glove logo will always stand for the glory days of Yount, Molitor, Fingers, Thomas, Sutton, Cooper, Bambi's Bombers, Harvey's Wallbangers, and the like. That will never go away.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And no matter what, the glove logo will always stand for the glory days of Yount, Molitor, Fingers, Thomas, Sutton, Cooper, Bambi's Bombers, Harvey's Wallbangers, and the like. That will never go away.

"Harvey's Wallbangers" - ahh yes, the best unofficial nickname for an MLB team I have ever heard :notworthy::D .

LT

I'd like to see how consistent people are on Give The City's Fans What They Want vs. Wear What We Think We Know Is Best, in regards to Nats hats, Brewers logos, Royals in powder blue, stuff like that. I'll admit I pick and choose what I want to see: DC hat, ball in glove, no more powder blue. It's just that when you take a stance, you probably contradict yourself

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

And no matter what, the glove logo will always stand for the glory days of Yount, Molitor, Fingers, Thomas, Sutton, Cooper, Bambi's Bombers, Harvey's Wallbangers, and the like.  That will never go away.

Exactly. Just as Molitor, Yount, Stormin' Gorman, etc. had the bulk of their success with the ball-in-glove logo, I really want the current logos to be associated with the new crop of young talent (J.J. Hardy, Prince Fielder, Rickie Weeks, etc.) in Miller Park. They won't be catching the Cardinals any time soon, but don't be surprised if they catch up to Houston/Florida/Philadelphia next year.

QPR%20Sig.png

I disagree with the notion that a season out of the playoffs will somehow diminish the Cream City's love affair with the glove logo. They'll have to have an extraordinary run of bad teams wearing it to make a dent. And with hands-down the best farm system in the majors just waiting to be called up, I don't see a repeat of 1994-2005 any time soon.

Since the Brewers have done nothing in years, the mere switch back to the B&G will produce continued losing ways without better players. And yes, I think the losing ways will continue for years.

As for the best farm system, the Brewers had that during much of their losing years as well. It means nothing without the proper management to exploit the talent.

The Crew will begin to compete once they arrive into the year 2005 and drop some cash on some real free agent talent.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

As for the best farm system, the Brewers had that during much of their losing years as well. It means nothing without the proper management to exploit the talent.

I couldn't disagree more strongly, although we're now in danger of veering away from logo talk altogether.

Sal Bando's farm system was lousy. Lousy. How many decent talents came out of it in the eight years he controlled the team? The farm system that they have now, Doug Melvin building off of Dean Taylor's work, is by all accounts the best in the business.

I agree with you that talent in the minors is nothing without the abilty to coach, manage and develop it in the majors, but come on. There's no comparison between the farm system they have now and the farm system they had during the rest of this huge losing streak.

Sucks cause I cannot stand that logo.

The ball and glove logo is one of the greatest ever. It's better than their new generic wheat logo.

Give me a reason why the ball and glove logo sucks?

Milwaukee has never had a good logo/uniform since the Milwaukee Braves... courtesy of Boston.

Seriously, I want reasons why it sucks? It's unique, creative and genius. I show friends and family that logo, and they love it!

And you all better have Bernie Brewer diving in beer again. That slide is so PC it's embarassing.

you want a reason why the ball and glove logo sucks? well the team is named the brewers, and the ball and glove logo has NOTHING to do with beer making. the current brewers set is among the leauge's best, and it actually represents the team name.

As for the best farm system, the Brewers had that during much of their losing years as well.  It means nothing without the proper management to exploit the talent.

I couldn't disagree more strongly, although we're now in danger of veering away from logo talk altogether.

Sal Bando's farm system was lousy. Lousy. How many decent talents came out of it in the eight years he controlled the team? The farm system that they have now, Doug Melvin building off of Dean Taylor's work, is by all accounts the best in the business.

I agree with you that talent in the minors is nothing without the abilty to coach, manage and develop it in the majors, but come on. There's no comparison between the farm system they have now and the farm system they had during the rest of this huge losing streak.

Actually, I was refering to the farm system during the B&G days. One world series appearance is kinda embarrassing, considering how good the farm system was. With the talent it was producing, the Brewers pissed away some real opportunity.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Oh, gotcha. You're right - Harry Dalton put together a great farm system, and the Brewers should have been able to take better advantage of it. That frustration is why, I believe, Bud Selig had such a hair-trigger when it came to firing managers - they couldn't get better results from the talent.

Now that this thread has decided to flagellate the Brewers' retro logo yet AGAIN, can we give similar exhaustive treatment to the "fat swirly" P of the Fightins'?

phillies_cap.jpg

If "flagellate" is synonymous with "get rid of completely", I'm all for it. The only redeeming quality of that hat is the color, which the Phils should adopt with their current identity.

QPR%20Sig.png

Sucks cause I cannot stand that logo.

The ball and glove logo is one of the greatest ever. It's better than their new generic wheat logo.

Give me a reason why the ball and glove logo sucks?

Milwaukee has never had a good logo/uniform since the Milwaukee Braves... courtesy of Boston.

Seriously, I want reasons why it sucks? It's unique, creative and genius. I show friends and family that logo, and they love it!

And you all better have Bernie Brewer diving in beer again. That slide is so PC it's embarassing.

you want a reason why the ball and glove logo sucks? well the team is named the brewers, and the ball and glove logo has NOTHING to do with beer making. the current brewers set is among the leauge's best, and it actually represents the team name.

That logic doesn't work for me. Baseball logos (unlike most other sports) are generally letters (see "NY" "SF" "LA" "StL" "C" "D" ...). None of these insertyoursuperlativehere logos have anything to do with their team.

I agree with you that the current Brewers set is fine, and I agree that it is better than the glove logo. I'm just saying that I think your arguing point is very flawed.

It's where I sit.

That logic doesn't work for me. Baseball logos (unlike most other sports) are generally letters (see "NY" "SF" "LA" "StL" "C" "D" ...). None of these insertyoursuperlativehere logos have anything to do with their team.

I agree with you that the current Brewers set is fine, and I agree that it is better than the glove logo. I'm just saying that I think your arguing point is very flawed.

It is a good point. In essence, the glove logo is just a couple of letters - but with the bonus of resembling a glove and ball. My only misgiving with it is that the glove looks like something Foghorn Leghorn would be using while playing catch with Bugs Bunny...

LT

But letters (even stylized letters) are not logos (in the traditional sense.) The mb on the ball-in-glove are more of a logo than letters. Logos should be (IMO) a graphical, iconic, representation of an identity.

Example: the Red Sox Red Socks, Cheif Wahoo, etc. An "m" and "b" alone is fine, but put them together into a recognizable picture that has nothing to do with the team's identity and that's where problems start. Just my opinion.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Interesting. So what would you say if the glove was only used as a cap logo and not a primary logo?

The problem that I have with the current set is that, aesthetically, it's unbalanced and goofy. The "M" goes in all different directions, and the "B" on the jerseys has that huge hole looking like a target for opposing pitchers to plunk.

Interesting. So what would you say if the glove was only used as a cap logo and not a primary logo?

The problem that I have with the current set is that, aesthetically, it's unbalanced and goofy. The "M" goes in all different directions, and the "B" on the jerseys has that huge hole looking like a target for opposing pitchers to plunk.

Cap logo, primary logo, doesn't matter. Any 'logo' should represent the identity of the team (or maybe city in the case of older teams with odd nicknames).

Letters on caps are OK, because some times it isn't practical to put a logo on a cap. The letters should preferably match the identity somewhat, like using the wordmark font.

When the mb is put together to form a (three fingered) glove, it stops being letters and becomes a symbol (with the letters worked into the symbol.) By definition, a symbol symbolizes something, which a baseball logo's case should be a baseball team's identity. The mb is nifty, but not in this application.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree with you in principle, but I also think you're overly valuing hard and fast rules here. There are always exceptions.

Perhaps you're not willing to make an exception here because you don't like the logo, but in this case I think the fans ought to be heard and this should be the exception.

I'd much rather see them return to the 1996-1999 uniforms, with the Beer Barrel Man as the primary logo. That would serve both interests - the scheme would reflect both the aesthetics of the city and the nature of the nickname. Alas, that's not what the fans want.

And I still say that the glove is worlds better than the goofy, unblanced mess they wear now. Even though it's not my favorite logo by far, that's a trade this Brewers fan is more than willing to make.

Archived