Penn State Five Paw Logo

leopard88

I have been lurking for a few months and finally decided to post. I have been planning to ask why Penn State paw logos have five "fingers" instead of the usual four (think Clemson, for example). However, I found the answer last night. In case this has bothered anyone else, the link below provides the answers -- we can blame the d@mn lawyers (I can say that because I am one).

Penn State Student Newspaper Article

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

If I remember the story correctly Clemson did not (at least at first) copyright the tiger paw. They believed that increased visability of the paw would only be more exposure for Clemson.

Here is a brief story of John Antonio the man who designed one of the most recognizable symbols in College Sports.

This man holds a special place in the hearts of Tiger fans and in the pocketbooks of sports marketing entrepreneurs. Antonio invented the Tiger paw, the distinctive logo of the Clemson athletic teams that has become synonomous with this University's athletic success.

Antonio was an innovative account executive with Henderson Advertising in Greenville, and prior to the 1970 season, unveiled the Paw as Clemson's new logo. It has shown up all over the country on items owned by Clemson fans. Many institutions with a feline as mascot have used the logo, or an impression of it.

Antonio also came up with the phrase, "Fly the friendly skies of United," when he worked for the Leo Burnette Agency in Chicago. "I've never had a logo or an emblem copied as much as the Tiger Paw," said Antonio, now 70 and living in Greenville.

Antonio still remembers the day he made the presentation of the Tiger Paw to Frank Howard, then the Clemson Athletic Director. "He wasn't saying much at all," recalled Antonio in an article in the Greenville News dated Feb. 16, 1997. "I kind of thought I was losing this fight. "

At this point Antonio pulled out an orange football helmet with a tiger paw painted on the side.

"Coach Howard's eyes got as big as saucers and he smiled. From there it was downhill. Coach Howard wanted that helmet." Those Tiger paws are still on the Clemson helmets today.

Taken form Clemsontigers.com

Images are still not my strong suit (I guess I'll learn). Meanwhile, for those who have never seen the RIDICULOUS looking (because it doesn't exist in the real animal world) five paw logo, the link below shows a number of examples (excluding the car magnets that I see too often).

Penn State Merchandise

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

It does look odd. It's not too bad, though.

Except, of course, for the gross anatomical error. That is what has always bothered me.

Archived