Spurs delete "World Champions" tag

WJMorris3

I don't think that any club team should call themselves world champions unless they win a specific world tournament of the best teams from all the leagues. We all know that the NFL champions are the best football team in the world, but I still dont like the fact that they are "World Champions". World Champions should be reserved for World Cups or Championship. FIFA World Cup, World Cup of Hockey and the FIBA World Basketball Championships.

1zqy8ok.gif

I don't see any point in calling the title for baseball anything other than "world champions." I mean, there is a reason it's called the World Series. Also, if you were to change the name of the baseball title now, you would have to change it for every year blacks were not admitted in the major leagues since not all the best players were capable of contending for the World Series.

America represents the best in the world. Our leagues are better than most all others in the world in their own particular sports. Basketball, however, seems to be the first american sport that the rest of the world has caught up to. I'm still in favor of "World Champions", but i guess the NBA realizes it's not just their game anymore...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

America represents the best in the world. Our leagues are better than most all others in the world in their own particular sports. Basketball, however, seems to be the first american sport that the rest of the world has caught up to. I'm still in favor of "World Champions", but i guess the NBA realizes it's not just their game anymore...

Are you serious? The NBA, and David Stern will shove this down your throat as much as he can, has become the most (or, at the very least, tied with baseball) international sport in the country. The only reason we lost in the Olympics is because so many of the stars didn't want to go. Granted, we should've won with what we had, but Larry Brown was either using illicit drugs or just plain out of his mind when he hardly played LeBron or Wade. And say what you want about Iverson, but anyone who actually watched the games instead of waiting for the team to lose so they could thrash them would've seen that he played his heart out. And he certainly out-hearted Carmelo Anthony, who only cared about playing time. Saying that it's not the NBA's game anymore is ridiculous and false. American baseball didn't even qualify for the Olympics (they use college players, that is true; that being said, who here believes that the US team could've beaten a Latin American or Japanese team, even if made up of pro players?)

Also, how about baseball? MLB doesn't want to play the Japanese leagues, just ask Bobby Valentine. The NFL is only played here, and I'm pretty sure that, outside of Canada, nobody else plays the game. The NHL is not far and away the best hockey league in the world. MLS? No offense to MLS fans, but it's almost the minor leagues compared to the soccer leagues in Europe.

On topic, I don't mind. You're not the World Champion if you don't play the world. The thing is, though, if you had the NBA Champs play in a world tournament, or the Chicago White Sox play the Chiba Lotte Marines, you might not get the same effort from those teams you would in, say, the Finals or the World Series. The teams might actually end up losing because they're not putting up a true effort, and then? Well, we end up with what is, in essence, a false World Champion.

Archived