Wrigley Field Expansion Project

no97

I was at the Cubby Bear on saturday (bar across the street from wrigley) and desided to take a drunken stumble around teh whole thing. the catwalk looks pretty cool. I hope they dress up/clean up the outside a bit cause everytime I go back to wrigley, I always forget how big of a dump it is on the outside. Just some simple brick would do that place wonders.

I hope they dress up/clean up the outside a bit cause everytime I go back to wrigley, I always forget how big of a dump it is on the outside. Just some simple brick would do that place wonders.

I couldn't agree more... One thing I was realy impressed with when I went to Fenway was the little things - for example, Wrigley has chain linc fencing every where. I hate that. Looks cheep, and could be easily upgraded. Same for the pre-cast concrete on the front facade. Also looks cheep. Brick would look ten times better. I am hopeful that these items will be addressed when the "triangle building" is constructed after the 2006 season...

Moose

Well, I hate it.

I think letting the Cubs do this, and the "Triangle Building" that will begin construction next offseason are much better than the alternative - tear the whole thing down and build a new park...

Think about it. Cubs fans have two options; 1) The Cubs try to maximize the profits from the second oldest building in baseball. One with clearly a disadvantage to any "retro" ballpark out there (the Cubs aren't raking in the naming rights, parking, and have limited suite concessions that they could get by tearing down Wrigley, and building new); or, 2) they build new.

Which would you rather have? A slightly altered Wrigley? Or New Wrigley built across the street by HOK architects? I'm sorry, but I'll take option "A" over option "B" any day...

Moose

Yeah, the Chicago Cubs are gonna fold if they don't put a restaurant in center field. Scrappy little club just needs to keep its head above water

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found a couple pictures you guys might like:

21613244.jpg

21613188.gif

and here's the whole gallery.

One of the photos mentions that there will be no centerfield resturant, only luxury suites. that kinda sucks. a resturant there would have been awesome.

I was at the Cubby Bear on saturday (bar across the street from wrigley) and desided to take a drunken stumble around teh whole thing. the catwalk looks pretty cool. I hope they dress up/clean up the outside a bit cause everytime I go back to wrigley, I always forget how big of a dump it is on the outside. Just some simple brick would do that place wonders.

Here's a tip from one of my old college professors: If you want to walk around any construction job site without anybody hassling you, always wear a hard hat and carry a roll of drawings. Doesn't matter what type of drawings they are, if you keep them rolled up you probably won't have to open them for anybody.

QPR%20Sig.png

Final (?) update from Cubs.com with photo gallery. The home opener is tomorrow (and on WGN), so must of you will be able to see how it looks with fans in the stands, but it is interesting to see with-out, as well.

Also, you can check out WGNTV.com for some video from the newscasts of the bleachers...

Moose

Is that an advertisment under the scoreboard??? And the Bud Light Bleechers thing is kinda lame. I mean, it was only a matter of time before the logos and ads started to creep into wrigley...but I was hoping it'd be safe for a few more years.

Sigh. It was always so nice to go to wrigley without the all the ads. I think the only one they ever had would be the green box behind the plate on ESPN broadcasts. Other than that, I've got to think that's one of the first.

Its still less (much less) than Busch III which looks like a yellow page spread.

The Cubs added the rolling adds behind home plate last year. The ad board under the scoreboard have been there for a few years. It also has the stats for the players.

Back in the 80's the Cubs had a smaller message board below the scoreboard that had a Budwieser and Bud Light ads on each side.

The whole ad-less Wrigley Field is somewhat of a joke. Yes, it has significantly less advertising than the average ballpark, but there certainly is some there.

cubs_game_rooftops.jpg

bpbleachers.jpg

(even if it's just outside the park)

Heck, in this picture, you can see the video boards recently added down the baselines that also run ads, just like the one under the scoreboards:

chicago.1.jpg

This, in addition to the rolling ads now behing home plate...

Thing is, unless you've been there, you'd hardly know about the video-boards. There's no reason to show them on TV, so people just assume they're not there...

Moose

Archived