Wrigley Field Expansion Project

no97

So I spent a good amount of time today looking online for either a web-cam, or photos of the work being done on the Wrigley Field expansion project. All I came up with is some small screen-captures from the Chicago ABC affiliate:

wls_100405_wrigley1.jpg

wls_100405_wrigley4.jpg

These are from October 4, so I'm sure there's been a lot more work done...

This is a twofold question. First, anyone know of existing web-cams? The Murphy's Bleacher's one appears down, as does the earthlink one - one's I've seen and used before. Second, anyone here in Chicago and near Wrigleyville that could post occasional photos of the progress if no web-cam can be found?

Thanks!

Moose

For the sake of some dignity, I think they could have said something other than:

"Normally, all is quiet at Wrigley Field once the Chicago Cubs' regular season ends..."

It looks like it'll be cool. Kinda neat to see the back side of that ivy. I hope that lounge in Center doesn't take away from Wrigley. Its always nice to go there and step back in time. No Suites, no advertising, no music. Hopefully they don't go too crazy adding luxury suites or something in center field.

For the sake of some dignity, I think they could have said something other than:

"Normally, all is quiet at Wrigley Field once the Chicago Cubs' regular season ends..."

It looks like it'll be cool.  Kinda neat to see the back side of that ivy.  I hope that lounge in Center doesn't take away from Wrigley.  Its always nice to go there and step back in time.  No Suites, no advertising, no music.  Hopefully they don't go too crazy adding luxury suites or something in center field.

Ha! Burned by their own web staff.... not to hijack but the Rogers Centre is also undergoing renovations (again)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

It looks like it'll be cool. Kinda neat to see the back side of that ivy. I hope that lounge in Center doesn't take away from Wrigley. Its always nice to go there and step back in time. No Suites, no advertising, no music. Hopefully they don't go too crazy adding luxury suites or something in center field.

I suppose I should have included the artist renderings in my first post... Sorry about that (even though most of these are of the building that won't be started until next offseason).

Theoretically, they are trying to follow the "Fenway Model," in that the Monster Seats and the seats on the right field roof haven't taken away from the feel of that ballpark...

As for suites, Wrigley has had those since 1989... and has had advertisements for a while too, including the behind the plate rotating display added this past year.

I'm to the point where I don't care what happens as long as they stay at Clark and Addison, with the Bricks and Ivy with the Scoreboard in Center. Truthfully, to me, they could completely demolish the main grandstand, and rebuild it (as long as they attempt to do it in the same style - two decks, a roof, etc.) with the modern amenities.

I've toured around to almost half the parks in MLB the past two summers, hitting old and new alike, and the conclusion I've come to is that while I still love Wrigley, the new parks are darn nice as well. If done properly, I think that it could work. Maybe that's what the Cubs are working up towards with this bleacher renovation. They're basically going to have brand new bleachers, and still the old grandstand. I can see the time where they say, let's do the same thing to the grandstand that we did to the bleachers. And, long term, if the team wants to stay on the north side, I don't see any other choice...

Moose

I went to a game at Wrigley in 2004, and absolutely loved it. I've also been to a lot of stadiums, and while the newer parks (CBP, Oriole Park, etc.) are better in terms of ammenities and providing an "event" or "night out" feeling, there is just nothing that can compare to the pure "being at a baseball game" feeling that I felt at Wrigley. I'm pretty happy with what we have here with CBP, but I think everyone has to visit Wrigley sometime in their life. I hope the renovations still maintain what is good about the park.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

We now know how much additional money those 1,800 new bleacher seats will bring in...

Follow the math:

44 "prime" dates - $40 a seat X 1,800 = $3,168,000

31 "normal" dates - $30 a seat X 1,800 = $1,729,800

6 "value" dates - $15 a seat X 1,800 = $162,000

Total return on investment = $4,914,000 for the 2006 season...

Moose

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

More updates...

Here's a ChicagoSports.com story about the expansion project, detailing some of the features of the bleachers (based on these new "Bleacher Box Seats," my earlier return on investment figures are likely to be on the low side)...

Also, later this week, Cubs.com is scheduled to have another photo gallery, per the latest mailbag, weather permitting...

Moose

A pleasant surprise dropping by the Chicago Tribune site this morning for my daily read - this Bleacher Features item, including a nice graphic, with cross-section of the new bleacher-look. It does a nice job illustrating what the "cat-walk" feature will look like, IMHO. There's also a photo gallery from, apparently, a helocopters perspective...

Moose

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I hate it.

I think letting the Cubs do this, and the "Triangle Building" that will begin construction next offseason are much better than the alternative - tear the whole thing down and build a new park...

Think about it. Cubs fans have two options; 1) The Cubs try to maximize the profits from the second oldest building in baseball. One with clearly a disadvantage to any "retro" ballpark out there (the Cubs aren't raking in the naming rights, parking, and have limited suite concessions that they could get by tearing down Wrigley, and building new); or, 2) they build new.

Which would you rather have? A slightly altered Wrigley? Or New Wrigley built across the street by HOK architects? I'm sorry, but I'll take option "A" over option "B" any day...

Moose

Here's some from Getty images after typing Wrigley Field:

Getty Images Editorial - Image Results

arodsig.jpg THE TOUGHEST S.O.B. IN THE CCSLC!

Satan Lives! The Devil On Earth Breathes! -Jim Ross about Vince McMahon, WM 22

"THAT WAS THE WORD OF YANKEEMAN"

sterling.jpggodzilla.jpg

26 World Championships and still going strong. Get used to it Red Sox Nation!

"Yankees win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees win!" -John Sterling after every Yankee win

To Be The Yankees, You Gotta Whoooooooooo!!! beat the Yankees!!!

Archived