Bernie hyperbole

brinkeguthrie

Fans at Yankee Stadium will be chanting "Bernie! Bernie!" again next year.

The Yankees announced Thursday that they had agreed to a one-year, $1.5 million contract with the popular outfielder, who has been in pinstripes since 1991 and compiled statistics that put his name alongside the team's greatest players.

"He ranks right there with the Gehrigs and the Berras and the Ruths and the Mantles," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said.

i know he's been a great player-----but, uh, isn't that a bit much?

Yep. Bernie Williams, as good a player as he was, doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as those other guys.

And anybody that does is either a Yankee fan born about 20 years ago or doesn't know baseball worth spit. But that's just my opinion.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

"He ranks right there with the Gehrigs and the Berras and the Ruths and the Mantles," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said.

Wow, biggest exaggeration ever. Bernie Williams is a good player, but nowhere near Gehrig & Berra, doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence with Mantle, and he should be shot for comparing him with Ruth. And this comes from someone who hates the Yankees.

:lol:

The Yankees stars should be categorized into different pantheons. Here's how I would do it:

Group A (guys that are a part of American lore & society, not just baseball lore): Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle, (argueably) Reggie Jackson

Group B (Hall of Famers, Baseball legends, well known stars, Yankee legends, memorable playoff performers): Phil Rizzuto, Yogi Berra, Don Larsen, Roger Maris (could be group A, due to HR record), Whitey Ford, Bobby Richardson, Bucky Dent, Derek Jeter, Don Mattingly, Mariano Rivera.

Group C (main contributors to WS winning team, well known to baseball fans): Bernie Williams, Tino Martinez, Jorge Posada, Paul O'Neill, Andy Pettitte, Wade Boggs, Goose Gossage, Bobby Murcer, Ron Guidry, Tony Lazzeri, Johnny Mize, Mel Stottlemyre, Gene Michael.

I think other players then fit in from there. Managers, announcers, GM's and owners I omitted because I feel they have their own place. I admit I don't know enough about the Yankees as other people do, so I could be dead wrong on this, but I am just trying to show where I think Bernie belongs in terms of Yankees history.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

The Yankees stars should be categorized into different pantheons. Here's how I would do it:

Group A (guys that are a part of American lore & society, not just baseball lore): Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle, (argueably) Reggie Jackson

Group B (Hall of Famers, Baseball legends, well known stars, Yankee legends, memorable playoff performers): Phil Rizzuto, Yogi Berra, Don Larsen, Roger Maris (could be group A, due to HR record), Whitey Ford, Bobby Richardson, Bucky Dent, Derek Jeter, Don Mattingly, Mariano Rivera.

Group C (main contributors to WS winning team, well known to baseball fans): Bernie Williams, Tino Martinez, Jorge Posada, Paul O'Neill, Andy Pettitte, Wade Boggs, Goose Gossage, Bobby Murcer, Ron Guidry, Tony Lazzeri, Johnny Mize, Mel Stottlemyre, Gene Michael.

I think other players then fit in from there. Managers, announcers, GM's and owners I omitted because I feel they have their own place. I admit I don't know enough about the Yankees as other people do, so I could be dead wrong on this, but I am just trying to show where I think Bernie belongs in terms of Yankees history.

this is absolutely accurate, cept I would put The Straw that Stirred the Drink in group B.

I think he's got a decent chance of getting in. . Is a good to almost great player. I would say yes. Yankee legend. Without a doubt. HOFer. I'd probably lean towards no.

I don't know if it'll be when he's first elegible but he's got to things going for him

He's been on a multiple championship team. People have seen him a lot in meaningful games.

And he's been in New York for a long time. With the media exposure in NYC, every player gets more attention.

Archived