Habs jersey on eBay

steiny_ramone

I found this on ebay(http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-CANADIENS-AUTH...1QQcmdZViewItem) and was intrigued by the price, but I have a few questions about it's accuracy. First, did the Canadiens ever have a white nameplate on a red jersey?

And did the habs ever have stripes like that on the bottom of the jersey?

Edit: It is an Alfie Turcotte jersey from the mid eighties if that helps to narrow it down.

They never used the white nameplate on the Reds. Always had numbers outlined in red. This is certainly a replica, and if it werent for the awful lettering and numbering job, it would be a cool REPLICA jersey for display purposes, due to it having the "novelty" version of the "CH". It is howerever, certainly not a team issued, or even store bought authentic jersey by ANY stretch of the imagination.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

One kajillion percent FAKE. For all the reasons already mentioned. Also, I can't say for sure that Maska made authentic Canadiens sweaters. The tag would have more authentic identifying information as well.

Plus... if it were truly authentic, would the bidding start at $10? :P

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

One kajillion percent FAKE. For all the reasons already mentioned. Also, I can't say for sure that Maska made authentic Canadiens sweaters. The tag would have more authentic identifying information as well.

Plus... if it were truly authentic, would the bidding start at $10? :P

I don't think it's fake, just very poorly described. It's pretty much just an old Canadiens replica jersey with a crappy lettering job.

1zgyd8w.jpg

One kajillion percent FAKE.  For all the reasons already mentioned.  Also, I can't say for sure that Maska made authentic Canadiens sweaters.  The tag would have more authentic identifying information as well.

Plus... if it were truly authentic, would the bidding start at $10?  :P

I don't think it's fake, just very poorly described. It's pretty much just an old Canadiens replica jersey with a crappy lettering job.

When the seller uses words like "authentic game jersey" in his descriptions, then it's a fake. It's misleading, it's incorrect, it's a lie. That jersey is not an authentic Canadiens jersey used during game action, which is what he's trying to have the viewer believe.

Had he described it as you did, it wouldn't be fake. But trying to pass it off as a authentic game jersey makes it so.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

When the seller uses words like "authentic game jersey" in his descriptions, then it's a fake. It's misleading, it's incorrect, it's a lie. That jersey is not an authentic Canadiens jersey used during game action, which is what he's trying to have the viewer believe.

Had he described it as you did, it wouldn't be fake. But trying to pass it off as a authentic game jersey makes it so.

Semantics, I guess. To me, "fake" is the homemade crap that people try to pass off as real (see the tons of NFL jerseys in the other thread). This is authentic as much as it is an official NHL jersey, but not authentic in the fight strap and all that sense.

1zgyd8w.jpg

To me, "fake" is the homemade crap that people try to pass off as real (see the tons of NFL jerseys in the other thread). This is authentic as much as it is an official NHL jersey, but not authentic in the fight strap and all that sense.

That's funny. And I thought that this jersey looked like the homemade crap people pass off as real! This thing is so bad, it's not even replica.

To me, replica doesn't have the fight strap, the chain-stitch embroidery, the heavier fabric and the other details that make authentics authentic, but they still look passably like the real thing - especially with closer attention to fonts, colors and outlining. What MLB trots out and calls replica - the numbers are all block (even if the team uses another font) with standard letters (even if the team doesn't use standard letters, or use letters at all *cough*YANKEES*cough*) - is the very bottom end of what could be considered replica - and they look blatantly wrong.

Generally, the NHL does very well with its replicas. I have several sweaters that are clearly not made from professional-grade fabrics and materials, but the embroidery is done correctly, the colors are right, the fonts are correct, and they could pass for the real thing if you glanced at it. There are no glaring mistakes that jump out as a dead giveaway that this is not authentic.

2007nleastchamps.png

Please forgive the vagueness of this response, but the Habs did use Maska jerseys for only a year or 2 (Around 1983-84). Truthfully, the only pic I can confirm this with is in a section of the Montreal Forum commemorative book that is about their dressing room.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Archived