Counterfeit Sports Memorabilia

Steel Certain

I knew that certainly SOME of the sports memorabilia on the market was conterfeit, but a recent "Real Sports" with Bryant Gumbel discussed an FBI investigation that uncovered MILLIONS on counterfeit merchandise. Literally warehouses FULL of fake mitts, hats, bats, gloves, letters and more that will be issued with COA's. COA's are evidently easily obtainable. Signatures can be "ordered" by memorabilia companies based on current demand. For example, one of their signature "artists" can produce flawless Babe Ruth's with ease, and pumps the market full of baseballs, hats and small signature "swatches" that go for thousands and thousands of dollars.

I personally have only had fun collecting signatures that I've obtained in person, but I've certainly considered buying things on E-Bay. "Real Sports" suggested that up to HALF of what's on the market could be fake...what a staggering number.

Has anyone out there been witness or victim to forgeries?

http://www.hbo.com/realsports/stories/

SB40terribletowel.jpg6220steelers.jpglicense_thum.jpg

I knew that certainly SOME of the sports memorabilia on the market was conterfeit, but a recent "Real Sports" with Bryant Gumbel discussed an FBI investigation that uncovered MILLIONS on counterfeit merchandise. Literally warehouses FULL of fake mitts, hats, gloves, letters and all that will be issued with COA's. COA's are evidently easily obtainable. Signatures can be "ordered" by memorabilia companies based on current demand. For example, one of their signature "artists" can produce flawless Babe Ruth's with ease, and pumps the market full of baseballs, hats and small signature "swatches" that go for thousands and thousands of dollars.

I personally have only had fun collecting signatures that I've obtained in person, but I've certainly considered buying things on E-Bay. "Real Sports" suggested that up to HALF of what's on the market could be fake...what a staggering number.

Has anyone out there been witness or victim to forgeries?

http://www.hbo.com/realsports/stories/

I've heard through some fairly reliable sources that it's closer to 80% of everything out there is fake. They have "The National" sports collectors show (not sure of the actual title but The National is part of it) in Cleveland every few years. A buddy and I go to it whenever it's here. I can tell you that based on nothing more than the sheer volume of "hard to get" signatures that are available, a lot of it has to be fake.

They also have a booth there called PSA/DNA that verifies signatures. We saw a ton of Ted Williams and Joe Dimaggio balls and PSA/DNA said they were all forged signatures. In fact, of all the signed stuff that we had checked by PSA/DNA, all but one was considered forged. There was one Joe DiMaggio forgery that was so obvious I even noticed it. You could clearly see where the pen had been lifted halfway through the J in Joe.

Your best bet is to stay with places like MLB.com or NFL.com etc. and their auctions or sales. At least you'll know that their stuff is legit. Anyone else and it's a better than average chance you're getting taken.

The only sure-fire way to avoid getting a bogus piece of memorabilia is to see the person sign it in front of you.

BB52Big.jpg

80% fake! That is mind-boggling. I was pretty thrown off by the fake "COA" thing, too. I think its pathetic that people rip off fans and flood the market with fake signatures and items. The moral of the story has got to be...collect autographs if you meet the player...otherwise leave your money in the bank.

SB40terribletowel.jpg6220steelers.jpglicense_thum.jpg

I think Real Sports (or maybe it was Outside the Lines, I can't remember its been so long)did another story about this several years ago. In the article, Tony Gywnn mentioned that he'd gone into the Padres Shop at Jack Murphy Stadium (or whatever its called now) and saw several balls that he really did not sign. Plus we've all heard the stories of Ted Williams son putting out TONS of forgeries. If you're an autograph collector, buyer beware.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Archived