Jason Schmidt, the wealthy ingrate

brinkeguthrie

<this is great. MIXED EMOTIONS about HAVING TO TAKE 10 MILL. wouldve been a GOOD TIME TO BE A FREE AGENT SO I COULD MAKE A MILL OR TWO MORE.

How stupid is that. how GREEDY is that.>

(Giants pitcher Jason) Schmidt offered the biggest surprise in answering a rather mundane question. Asked if he was happy the Giants exercised his $10 million contract option for 2006 rather than buy him out for $3 million, Schmidt paused, smiled and carefully chose his words.

"I had mixed emotions about it," he said. "I'm happy to be in San Francisco, yeah. As far as the free-agent market, obviously I think different things could have happened, even though I had a bad year. There weren't a lot of pitchers on the market. It would have been a good time to be a free agent.

<this is great. MIXED EMOTIONS about HAVING TO TAKE 10 MILL. wouldve been a GOOD TIME TO BE A FREE AGENT SO I COULD MAKE A MILL OR TWO MORE.

How stupid is that. how GREEDY is that.>

(Giants pitcher Jason) Schmidt offered the biggest surprise in answering a rather mundane question. Asked if he was happy the Giants exercised his $10 million contract option for 2006 rather than buy him out for $3 million, Schmidt paused, smiled and carefully chose his words.

"I had mixed emotions about it," he said. "I'm happy to be in San Francisco, yeah. As far as the free-agent market, obviously I think different things could have happened, even though I had a bad year. There weren't a lot of pitchers on the market. It would have been a good time to be a free agent.

Roughly translated: "I'd rather not be in San Francisco playing with this :censored: Barry Bonds, but I'll take the $10 million, ride it out for the year, then hope I can make a good deal and get the hell outta here."

nav-logo.png

If the Giants trade Schmidt at mid-season, will they be "ingrates" on that account?  It's a business.

my point is, saying you have 'mixed emotions' about accepting 10 million to throw a baseball is outrageous. show a little gratitude.

He has mixed emotions because he saw how much guys like Burnett were getting... add $3 mil to it and he feels he would've been really raking in the dough.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

If the Giants trade Schmidt at mid-season, will they be "ingrates" on that account?  It's a business.

my point is, saying you have 'mixed emotions' about accepting 10 million to throw a baseball is outrageous. show a little gratitude.

He didn't really have a choice. It was a 'team" option. Now if it was the player option, then sure he should be grateful.

Either way, it was part of the contract. I'm sure when it was signed both team and player were grateful. How many times do you need to be grateful?

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Archived