Indiana Hires Kelvin Sampson

Cujo

ESPNEWS is currently reporting Oklahoma Head Coach Kelvin Sampson is leaving Sooners and will be named the next head coach of Indiana Hoosiers basketball.

Reportedly, Gonzaga's Mark Few and Memphis' John Calipari turned down the job.

6uXNWAo.png

Wow. Guess they felt they had to make a splash, huh? Guess it's better than settling for Steve Alford. I think it's a great move, only because it gets them away from the Bobby Knight "family," but Sampson isn't THAT great of a coach/recruiter. Too bad Calipari turned it down, I think he would have been a slam dunk success at IU.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I'm surprised that they asked Mark Few about the job. I think he may be one of the few(no pun intended) coaches I just can't see leaving where he is at. Hell, he saw what happened to Dan Munson now that he is slumming at Minnesota.

From what I've been hearing so far, feelings out of Bloomington are mixed on the hire of Sampson at IU.

I think the guy solid coach and has done some good things at Oklahoma which is a football dominated school. Eventhough there are alleged NCAA infractions under his watch at OU, he is a good hire for Indiana.

However, I also think IU should have taken a look at Iowa coach and Indiana alumn, Steve Alford, as that guy what Indiana basketball is all about, and in my opinion a pretty good coach. Not only would that hire amp the fans and students of Indiana, it would also in a way, cripple Big Ten counterpart Iowa, as you're hiring away the leader of that program.

Too bad Calipari turned it down, I think he would have been a slam dunk success at IU.

Well, perhaps he'll get the OU job. That'd be a pretty decent fit for him.

As for Calipari, supposedly he is very happy in Memphis and is not looking to rebuild another program and move his family again. Knowing this, I don't see him going to OU if he just turned down the job at Indiana.

6uXNWAo.png

I think this is an excellent hire for IU. May take him a year to adjust his recruiting circle though. I can't see alot of west coast players coming to IU to play like they had for OU.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Archived