USARS USA Youth National Championships

ABCJr

Hey All:

Wanted to get your thoughts on this logo design for the tourney.

usars1.jpg

Design background: Pittsburgh is referred to as the "golden triangle," hence the triangle in this logo and the many forms it has taken in Penguins logos past and present. For the other aspect of the design, the sticks are laid out as the three rivers (shafts are the Ohio, left face is the Allegheny and the right face is the Monongahela) with the Point fountain shown as the distinctive red puck used by the tourney.

-ABCJr.

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

i'm not saying its bad, i'm just not crazy about it - nothing really jumps out at me - also, the the hockey sticks just look a bit off in terms of rivers, because i doubt that i would have caught that unless you told me - i think i'd personally rather see crossed hockey sticks or something like that instead of whats currently there, or even a design with the rivers incorporated somehow

worldchampsll1.png

DJR- Appreciate the feedback. I looked at a lot of tournament logos for various tourneys and tried to find the best way to incorporate a Pittsburgh theme. The obvious color scheme followed with the addition of red because 1) the tournament puck color is red and 2) it works well within the combo. Can't say that I agree with ditching the entire subliminal message of the logo; the purpose of the layout is to allude to The Point.

Shumway- Definitely agreed. Three-color and two-color versions of the logo have been developed in the concept for alternate uses. I wanted to do something a little more fresh for use in the program and other four-color print materials.

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

Hey All:

I could really use your help and expertise on this project. I only received a couple of comments on the first design, but I wanted to do something alternate. Could you please offer your opinions on both the "golden triangle" and the incline versions?

usarsincline.jpg

Thanks all!

-ABCJr.

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

Just not feeling the incline version, and the first one seems too ordinary to me. Try to incorporate steel instead, Pittsburgh's other big claim to fame. Or even fireworks, Pittsburgh's unsung tradition IMO. Zambelli fireworks is only a couple miles away from the city. Whether its as a promotion for the bucs {such as the huge yearly Skyblast show} or the annual Three Rivers Regatta Thunder now merged with the Star Spangled Independace Day fireworks, Light Up Night to celebrate the beginning of the holiday shopping season, or New Years, or sometimes for no reason, we have plenty of fireworks here. Try something new like that, i'd love to see it.

oBIgzrL.png

So, the lukewarm/non-response from the board has made me realize I might need to take a completely different path on this logo.

I reevaluated my goals for the logo and came to the following:

1) I believe the point is the most quickly-recognized landmark in Pittsburgh

2) Design did not have to include hockey

3) I wanted to allude somehow to the golden triangle

4) Logo had to compliment the USARS logo, which is edgy

5) The logo had to work with fewer colors

6) Design reflected the positive, world-competitive spirit of Pittsburgh vs. the "former steel town" image

So, here goes:

usarstri.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts. I really would appreciate additional feedback.

-ABCJr.

jeffsig.gif

glgsig.gif

So, the lukewarm/non-response from the board has made me realize I might need to take a completely different path on this logo.

I reevaluated my goals for the logo and came to the following:

1) I believe the point is the most quickly-recognized landmark in Pittsburgh

2) Design did not have to include hockey

3) I wanted to allude somehow to the golden triangle

4) Logo had to compliment the USARS logo, which is edgy

5) The logo had to work with fewer colors

6) Design reflected the positive, world-competitive spirit of Pittsburgh vs. the "former steel town" image

So, here goes:

usarstri.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts. I really would appreciate additional feedback.

-ABCJr.

Good. Doesnt really scream "hockey tournament" at me but its still good. Theres nothing wrong with the "former steel town image" IMO but, i understand the route youre taking. Except the fountain doesnt really look like a fountain.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived