RIP Eric Gregg

NJTank

Eric's post-umpiring jobs included being commisioner of the Wing Bowl (wing-eating contest that manages to sell out the Wachovia Center at 6AM on a Friday morning right before the Super Bowl) and tending bar at Chickie's and Pete's, who had a location in the now-demolished Veterans Stadium. They have a stand at least in Ashburn Alley at Citizens' Bank Park that sells draft beer and Crab Fries. I want to say he was there pouring beers last season. I know I have bought a beer from him at the Vet.

What I remember of Gregg as an ump was that he wasn't totally forgettable background wallpaper, like today's umps, nor was he entirely egomaniacal to the point of thinking he was above the game. He hit a happy medium, even if he was definitely a triple-XL.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

What I remember of Gregg as an ump was that he wasn't totally forgettable background wallpaper, like today's umps, nor was he entirely egomaniacal to the point of thinking he was above the game. He hit a happy medium, even if he was definitely a triple-XL.

My only memory if Gregg was his huge strike zone in Game 5 of the NLCS, calling strikes that were literally in the other batter's box.

Any Braves fan will remember what I'm talking about.

Gregg had one of the largest zones of anyone to ever umpire in the big leagues.

It wasn't just that game Hedley.

Who was the player that placed a cheeseburger on one of the bases for Gregg?

I recall Gregg laughing. He though it was hilarious.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Who was the player that placed a cheeseburger on one of the bases for Gregg?

I recall Gregg laughing.  He though it was hilarious.

Tom Lawless

Thanks Tank! :notworthy:

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Archived