Jays sig

patsox

yes, please listen to us. You do sloppy jobs, and then make comments that design is your passion, and you put 100% into everything. Not at all. Check this out:

drays6.PNG

you couldn't even take the time to draw an oval. A FREAKIN OVAL!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you couldn't even take the time to draw an oval. A FREAKIN OVAL!

That was a :censored: long time ago. Pull up something more recent.

How's this for a proposition: Until you listen to what people are telling you about your sloppy work, you are not allowed to critique anybody else's work as being sloppy. I mean, it's only fair, you know?
like I said I don't understand WHAT is sloppy about them.

I think what these people are trying to get across to you, patsox, is that you are RUSHING these things. I've sorta kinda noticed it myself. Now, I am by NO MEANS an expert, or anywhere as good as the vets on this board (I just put my first concept up TODAY), but it seems you either dont care about the C&C you're receiveing because of who it's coming from or you are not taking the time to slow doen enough to study the C&C being given to you. One guy went as far as to repost one of your works and circle the blots in it. It's things like that you have to pay attention to. Me being the realist I am, I wouldn't think one would do that to INTENTIONALLY make you look like a fool or something--but sometimes words don't get through to people, so pictorial references are used, and most times have a deeper impact. Sometimes people got to SEE what people are talking about if the WORDS don't do it for them.

The other thing is that quality takes TIME. I had to learn that the hard way--partially why it took me THREE MONTHS to finish, let alone post, my first concept series, precisely to avoid what going on with you now. I took time to study the works of others (and the corresponding C&C's), so that I would know what mistakes to avoid, what works, what SHOULD work, and what don't, won't, or wouldn't. Not to say I still won't make them, but that's the point of C&C--for your peers, especially in an OPEN ORUM, to disciss what they like and/or don't like about your concept. Now true, there is a way to say anything tactfully, and there will be times some people overstep those bounds. But you got to be strong enough in yourself and, if you believe you truly have it, your skills as a designer to take that with a grain of salt and study your work, see if you can point out what it is that people like and don't like, and adjust accordingly.

The thing about the Jays sig not being your own original work...I ain't saying it is or isn't. But given the litany of sig concepts you posted after that, and after studying them, the quality just isn't the same as the first. In fact, the quality of some of those posts actually REGRESSED. Now, statistically speaking, people, especially artists and designers, don't, or shouldn't, regress in quality and skill when they're doing the same thing over and over again. In fact, one should be able to identify the areas he or she needs to work on (C&C will help that cause) and, if he or she REALLY wants to get good at it, work to improve those areas of weakness. Not everyone is going to be the best at log design--I myself straight suck when it comes to depicting animals and humanoids on a logo, which is why I primarily stick to letterforms--but I am working on improving that weakness of mine.

To wrap all this up, just slow yourself down, take some time off, go outside and sniff some air, snatch a Heineken if need be, take time to relax, get away from your conputer for a while, and then come back later. Oftentimes doing that will help you see something in your work that you didn't see before, plus it helps reboot your brain and can give you some fresh ideas on how to improve your work.

And also, please know I'm not saying all this to spit venom at you...just trying to offer some CONSTRUCTIVE points of advice to you, the same way I had folks do to me when I first got myself fully entrenched in my design work.

Take some time to relax, folk. Get away from it for a while. Go do something fun, and then come back at it. It'll help you--I can promise you that.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived