Wichita Wranglers pulling up stakes

OMMF

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/stories...html?from_rss=1

Wichita will lose the Wranglers but keep the National Baseball Congress, according to City Councilman Paul Gray.

"It's been decided," he says.

Negotiations are under way to allow Rich Baseball, the owners of the Wranglers, to break their lease at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium. While Gray won't discuss exact terms under discussion, the most likely scenario has the Wranglers playing in Wichita during the 2007 season, then moving to Springdale, Ark.

The NBC World Series, he says, will stay in Wichita "for the long term."

Jon Dandes, president of Rich Baseball, did not return telephone calls requesting comment.

Keeping the Double-A team through 2007 gives the city of Wichita time to attract another professional baseball team. Gray says officials from several independent leagues, including the Northern League that has a franchise in Kansas City, have expressed serious interest in playing in Wichita.

Even though the Wranglers are leaving, city officials will continue with plans to renovate Lawrence-Dumont dugouts, concession stands, locker rooms and infield turf.

"I would group those together as primary projects that are going to have to be done regardless whichever baseball team is here," Gray says.

American Association would be smart to pull in KC T-Bones and Wichita. Then maybe Topeka's interests would be peaked.

The current Northern League is on death's door. The Canadian teams (except Winnipeg) are killing them.

The three Chicago teams (Joliet, Gary, and Schaumburgh) are rumored to be going to the Frontier League. Topeka could be a possiblity if a Ballpark solution is addressed. (Working on it :D )

What would happend to Winnipeg and Fargo? I dunno. Calgary and Edmonton could fold and no one would notice.

I feel like the American Association would probably absorb Fargo-Moorhead, KC and Winnipeg while the Chicagoland teams defect to the FL and Calgary and Edmonton fold.

Wichita seems like a good fit for the AA, and not so much geographically with the frontier league.

Springdale seems like an excellent fit for the Texas League, giving Little Rock's Arkansas Travelers a good natural rival.

I feel like the American Association would probably absorb Fargo-Moorhead, KC and Winnipeg while the Chicagoland teams defect to the FL and Calgary and Edmonton fold.

No freakin' way that this will happen. FM and WPG were the reason the AA was founded. Those teams hated all the promotions St. Paul, Lincoln, Sioux Falls and Sioux City put on. FM and WPG wanted to focus on player development. BASTIGES!!!!!!!!

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Wichita's between the proverbial "rock and a hard place". In all likelihood, the only reason the city hasn't told the Wranglers to "pound tar" in 2007 is that they don't want Rich Baseball to move the National Baseball Congress out of Wichita along with the Wranglers. Otherwise, why not just tell the Wranglers not to let the door hit them in the rear-end on the way out and invite an independent minor-league to set up shop at Lawrence-Dumont in time for 2007? I mean, the Wranglers aren't drawing fans now, so why the hell would they show up for a "lame-duck" season?

What a mess. A lame-duck Texas League season in 2007 that may well poison the market further for whatever independent minor-league team has to follow the Wranglers into Wichita.

Wichita's between the proverbial "rock and a hard place". In all likelihood, the only reason the city hasn't told the Wranglers to "pound tar" in 2007 is that they don't want Rich Baseball to move the National Baseball Congress out of Wichita along with the Wranglers. Otherwise, why not just tell the Wranglers not to let the door hit them in the rear-end on the way out and invite an independent minor-league to set up shop at Lawrence-Dumont in time for 2007? I mean, the Wranglers aren't drawing fans now, so why the hell would they show up for a "lame-duck" season?

What a mess. A lame-duck Texas League season in 2007 that may well poison the market further for whatever independent minor-league team has to follow the Wranglers into Wichita.

Agreed.

I was planning on heading down to a game this season. Things won't work out this year. But next year is a must.

NBC is a big deal and Wichita should not lose it.

Though, if the Rich family would like to move it up I-35 to a certain town, I'm sure the City wouldn't mind.

Archived