AIFL Tallahassee becomes Tallahassee Titans

Geoff

The bevelled wordmark is too derivative (Just this side of outright appropriation) of the Tennessee Titans and the shield T looks just like the Titans secondary mark.

The bevelling on the wordmark is derivative... of the carving technique used to emblazon words on stone surfaces in the ancient world. Both Tennessee and Tallahassee obviously drew upon such carved writing when they chose to utilize a bevel in their wordmarks. If anything, IMHO Tallahassee's font is more attractive than Tennessee's overly-stylized design.

As for the notion that the shield in Tallahassee's logo "looks just like the Titans secondary mark", that's simply not true. The letter "T" in Tallahassee's logo may resemble the "sword-T" secondary mark used by Tennessee. However, it is rendered in a single color, whereas Tennessee's is rendered in four. It doesn't feature handle, meaning that it doesn't resemble a sword as Tennessee's logo does. The serifs on the crosspiece of Tallahassee's "T" aren't pointed, as those on Tennessee's logo happen to be.

Bottom line? I think that taking Tallahassee's AIFA team to task for adopting "Titans" as a team name in the wake of Tennessee's NFL franchise doing so is reasonably fair game. I mean, why not try coming up with something truly unique within the world of football, right? However, given Tallahassee's decision to go the "Titans" route, I feel that their logo does an admirable job of establishing a presence that is different than that of the Tennessee-based franchise. In fact, I find their logo more pleasing than that of the Tennessee Titans. I've always felt that the Tennessee Titans "dropped the ball" with their identity package.

I've always felt that the Tennessee Titans "dropped the ball" with their identity package.

The problem is that most new NFL logos are bland because there is a sense that you can't do anything too progressive because its 'THE NFL'. I think that is total horse:censored: personally. I'm waiting for an NFL team to come out with a helmet/logo design that is so progressive and new that blows the coventional crap out of the water, while remaining somewhat classy. (I guess I would see Walter Peyton rise from the grave and help lead the Bears to the Super Bowl before THAT happens)

The Titans tried too hard to appeal to the LOCAL crowd and make the identity cater to 'Tennessee' as opposed to making a logo that would have more of a NATIONAL appeal. Why they didn't incorporate their alternate logo (instead of the stupid thumb tack logo) as their primary logo, I'll never know.

I'm hoping to see a team like the Ravens (for example) totally redesign their helmets/logo and do something wild like use the front AND sides of the helmet and put an entire Raven on the helmet. That would be interesting.

Archived