AIFL Tallahassee becomes Tallahassee Titans

Geoff

I'm going to reserve comment on the shield, as honestly I can't tell if its good or bad. I'll leave that to the judgment of others.

The wordmark though leaves me flat. It's unique in the sports world, I'll grant, but the middle stroke in the "E's" in Tallahassee are below center (a pet peeve of mine) as are the mid-strokes in the "A's" throughout... I dunno. It just seems to me it could've been done so much better - an outline on the font, maybe italicized in the gold outline color... I dunno, just something.

nav-logo.png

I'm not one to bash an upstanding member nor his work, but I'm not a fan of this logo. I'm going to guess it was unbelieveably client influenced.

The position of his hand on the ball is awkward at best. He's holding it like it were a roll of carpet. Odd T tatoo on his hand. Strange cheek lines, odd orientation between where he is looking versus where his body is facing. He doesnt look very Titan-y to me.

I imagine even the designer wishes this were better.

Meh.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Very awkward ball and hand position.

Actually, I think that's an axe. It's hard to distinguish because the three lines on the blade make it look like laces.

It's alright, I guess. Definately high school quality at best.

philly.png

I'm not one to bash an upstanding member nor his work, but I'm not a fan of this logo. I'm going to guess it was unbelieveably client influenced.

The position of his hand on the ball is awkward at best. He's holding it like it were a roll of carpet. Odd T tatoo on his hand. Strange cheek lines, odd orientation between where he is looking versus where his body is facing. He doesnt look very Titan-y to me.

I imagine even the designer wishes this were better.

Meh.

I agree with everything J.R. said.

The wordmark is very distracting. I applaud the attempt at doing something different, but it doesnt work here.

thanks for the feedback fellas. this package was one of many aifl expansion packages i'm developing this month. as some of you know they had a

name the team contest, with the polls ending last wed night...so that

left a solid 4 days to develop a complete identity package :). That

really limited me in the time I had to work up several different concepts

The primary concern was making this package as far from the tenn titans

as possible, esp with the similar city names...so I felt a "character" depiction was crucial as well as a VERY unique wordmark.

Although I hear what some of you are saying about the typeface, here was

my approach...I structured the letterforms to reflect the strong, yet dynamic characteristics of traditional greek columns. The outline options and letter warping were obviously considered. Just took away from the strength of the wordmark as is. I guess think of the recent nfl logos from verlander such as seattle, arizona, houston, cincy, etc...no outlines, no bells and whistles, just the strong type.

As some of you guessed, there was plenty of client influence...not to say thats a bad thing since it is their team, its just frustrating as a designer when every path is crucial to a design..

The main points of edit:

1) I originally had a lightning bolt coming off the helmet and extending to the left corner of the shield. made it more of a "titan", greek god....NOT human. that was the purpose. well, i guess w/ the lakeland thunder or whatnot the owner wanted to avoid any of that symbolism....which made me question following through on a nickname when you cant fully represent it in a logo....idk

2) the hand was definately humorous. I originally just had muscle indentation lines, but they wanted to check it out w/ the T on it...last minute change that I felt would just clutter up the logo and take away from it strength. anyway, you know how that goes, the owner likes to play w/ the designers nerves and choose the lackluster version. oh well.

with the pose as paynomind stated, the goal was to have the chest of the titan a 3/4ths view with the head swiveled forward to show it in a profile view...i guess just face forward and turn your head to the side...that pose.

finally, not to bore everyone, but the titan clutching the ball over his heart represented the "heart" of fla, tallahassee the state capital...

i guess i'm not completely satisfied, but its part of the business. i appreciate the feedback fellas.

www.skyedesignstudios.com

I feel where you are coming from. Sometimes, the best approach is not realized by the client, and you have to make the best of the idea that they have in mind. I stated in a previous post some weeks ago, that you will see what I mean by this with a logo that will come out. I had plans that I thought would better suit the team, but the client did not realize this, or see it my way. You win some, you lose some.

I think it was inevitable that as our members find more and more success and professional opportunities that at some point we would have to "cannibalize" and attack one of our own.

But do not be sad. It is a credit to this place that we treat our own with the same strict standards as everyone else. We'd be hypocrits to praise everything unilaterally simply because a CCSLCer did the work.

I don't like this. I mean. AT ALL.

But four days? Start to finish? That's a challenge for anyone. And I've dealt with these arena guys before and it's not easy. Buhlee dat. They have NO clue.

And take heart Cward. You've got game. There isn't ONE logo I've EVER done that I look back upon as perfect. Or even satisfactory to tell you the truth. You do what you can do, improve and keep growing.

Designing is pursuing perfection. It is seldom achieved but that's why we try.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

some positives........graphically- good asymetric balance between dark and light.....nice color scheme.....for the most part, clean and uncluttered.....as Sterling suggests, keep working on your execution.....i think a number of us cringe at old stuff we have done (and even some new stuff)

advice.....hopefully these guys are paying you well (don't shoot your intelectual property load, so to speak, for pennies a trick.....The Titan you do now for next to nothing is unusable when a bigger client comes along )

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I really like it!

I'm biting my tongue as I write this...but I'd actually like to see some black incorporated into the lettering and possibly some of the 'Titan' to seperate things a little bit. I usually loathe sports logo designers for using black unnecessarily, but in this case I actually think it may be needed.

It's better, but I cannot give it a passing grade.

The bevelled wordmark is too derivative (Just this side of outright appropriation) of the Tennessee Titans and the shield T looks just like the Titans secondary mark.

Good..but good for a reason. It's at its heart a knock off. Even if it would probably pass the test in a court of law.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Archived