Hickerson, Sanders nominated to Pro Football HOF

Mac the Knife

Cleveland Browns guard Gene Hickerson and Detroit Lions tight end Charlie Sanders have been selected by the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Seniors Committee as finalists for election into the Hall of Fame with the class of 2007...

Hickerson, a future pick in the 7th round by the Browns in 1957, was a stalwart on the team's offensive line for 15 seasons. He helped Cleveland to 6 division titles during his career that spanned from 1958-60, 1962-73. The six-time Pro Bowl selection was one of the game's most highly regarded offensive linemen of his era as he led the way for three HOF running backs: Jim Brown, Bobby Mitchell and Leroy Kelly...

Sanders was Detroit's 3rd round pick out of Minnesota in 1968. He quickly established himself in the NFL when he recorded 40 catches for 533 yards as a rookie. More success followed for Sanders in 1969 when he caught 42 passes for a career-high 656 yards and scored three TDs. He was named All-NFL that season, the first of three straight seasons that he earned all-league accolades. In addition, Sanders was elected to 7 Pro Bowls during his 10-year, 128 game career.

I like to think I know my football, particularly its history, but I've honestly never heard of either of these guys.

nav-logo.png

Of course. Just because they played in another era shouldn't exclude them from the hall of fame. They were the best of the best in that era, so they deserve to be in the Hall.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Hickerson was before my time, But Sanders may have been the greatest TE to ever play the game, he could block with the best and was the first hybrid TE. A TE who could stretch the field and run like a WR. He was amazing and it should have never taken this long for someone who played 10 years and was elected to seven pro bowls.

I remember them both, very well. Charlie Sanders at one time was considered one of the premier, if not best, TE's in football. Hickerson was a stalwart on the Brown's line for more than a decade. Good choices, especially Sanders.

metslogo_215.gif

Archived