Word mark creation help

O.C.D

Hey guys,

I am in a band and I have become the person who does all the art for the band. I want to become a better overall designer, particularly in designing word marks. Our current word mark is a free font that I found places on a rectangle. Does anyone have any advice on a better way to approach creating a word mark? Either on paper then transferring it to a computer or just doing it straight through the computer.

Hey guys,

I am in a band and I have become the person who does all the art for the band. I want to become a better overall designer, particularly in designing word marks. Our current word mark is a free font that I found places on a rectangle. Does anyone have any advice on a better way to approach creating a word mark? Either on paper then transferring it to a computer or just doing it straight through the computer.

I think most of the actual designers would point towards drawing what you want and then scanning it.

And from there tracing it in a vector based software.

But that sets certain expectations. ie the creativity to know what you want, the ability to draw. the resources to provide the scanner and software, and the proficiency in the software to replicate and clean up your scanned image.

So what do I do, well, sometimes I cheat.

I either get someone who is talented, through the Requests forum.

Or I flat out go and ask one of the guys who I have had do stuff for me before.

The other thing I do is use a font that represents what I am trying to convey, ie funky, conservative, celtic etc, then go from there.

On Page 12 of this thread I posted what I do. I don't know if it's the right way to do it, in fact, the guys who are actual designers would probably laugh at me, but it's proven effective on a number of occasions for me.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=21010

Here's a wordmark I made using the method described.

Antagen.gif

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

OCD, long time no see.

rmereds got some good advice there.

i guess this would also be a good time to see what you thought of this wordmark completed about 2 years ago.

just had it kicking around, maybe it works, maybe it doesnt. love to hear back from you

AntagenScribble.png

www.skyedesignstudios.com

Archived