Tank's Stumper of the Day 12/18/06

NJTank

Technically, the first NFL Championship Game wasn't until 1933. The 1932 game between the Chicago Bears and the Portsmouth Spartans was only necessary because both teams finished the regular season with the same record...it wasn't scheduled in advance like the 1933 game. The 1932 game is officially called a playoff game...why? I dunno. The 1932 game also introduced hash marks to the NFL...and since it was played inside on a 70 yard field (due to a blizzard), the ball was moved back to the 20 every time a team crossed midfield. Which is...interesting, to say the least. I can see George Halas trying to drive to the 49 and punt to get better field position. :D

To answer the question, Bronko Nagurski threw a pass to Red Grange.

(Please tell me how I'm pretty sure I made a C in my History of American Football class...from where I remember all of this info...?)

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Technically, the first NFL Championship Game wasn't until 1933. The 1932 game between the Chicago Bears and the Portsmouth Spartans was only necessary because both teams finished the regular season with the same record...it wasn't scheduled in advance like the 1933 game. The 1932 game is officially called a playoff game...why? I dunno. The 1932 game also introduced hash marks to the NFL...and since it was played inside on a 70 yard field (due to a blizzard), the ball was moved back to the 20 every time a team crossed midfield. Which is...interesting, to say the least. I can see George Halas trying to drive to the 49 and punt to get better field position. :D

To answer the question, Bronko Nagurski threw a pass to Red Grange.

(Please tell me how I'm pretty sure I made a C in my History of American Football class...from where I remember all of this info...?)

Correct

Technically the 1932 didn't count as a NFL Championship Game although it was.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived