New Hockey Team in Topeka.......

BRUINSFAN

TOPEKA, KS (2-16-2007) - Topeka Hockey 07 is pleased to announce today that the newest North American Hockey League (NAHL) team will be established in Topeka.

The Topeka Roadrunners will play their home games at Landon Arena this fall.

The NAHL is a Junior A league affiliated with USA Hockey and its primary goal is to enhance the development of its players through top-quality coaching, extensive practice time and a rigorous game schedule. The league is committed to providing these developmental opportunities in

conjunction with a commitment to academic support. The league's schedule and playoff schedule is largely designed around weekend travel to minimize school

conflicts.

North American Hockey League games are easily accessible to college and professional talent evaluators. The league games, showcases and playoffs are consistently and heavily scouted by NHL teams, NHL Central Scouting and scores of college programs from around the country.

In addition, the NAHL takes an active role in promoting its players by distributing monthly progress reports to NHL Central Scouting and all major college programs.

The league's website publishes the most authoritative team and league news and statistics available.

In addition, NAHL games are broadcast locally and webcast everywhere,covered by daily papers, featured in regional and national newspapers,various hockey publications, specialty websites, and other media outlets.

Topeka Hockey '07 is pleased to have been involved in the Roadrunners coming to Topeka. "We look forward to the growth of our players both on the ice as well as helping to develope them into young men off the ice. We feel the NAHL is the best long term fit for hockey in Topeka."

Kansas Expo Centre's Landon Arena will be home to the Topeka Roadrunners NAHL hockey team. It is an 7,777-seat facility. The Kansas Expocentre is located on U.S.

Highway 75 (Topeka Boulevard) between 17th and 21st streets.

Season tickets and sponsorship packages will be available shortly.

When Bobby Orr was asked why he always wore a cup

but not a helmet,he replied:"I can always get

someone else to do my thinking for me!"

From Junior Hockey Blog.........

It looks like the Santa Fe Roadrunners have found a new home, as NAHL governors approved their relocation to Topeka for next season. It's unknown if the team will keep their same name/logo, or change.

You forgot to mention the failure of the USHL also!

We can only try again and see what happens.....

We'll need a good management group to come in here and be committed to the long fight of bringing the fans back to the arena.

You're right...Topeka is a tough market, but with the right people, I think it could work. We'll have to wait and see! My fingers are crossed....we've been through this before!

Topeka was one of the biggest flops in the CHL (twice)....not sure how starting a NAHL team will remedy that.

Junior teams are much easier and cheaper to run than professional teams.

Even if the USHL failed, an NAHL team might survive.

Helix.....

That's our point exactly......if we don't try again, we will never know if hockey will survive here in Topeka! We need a Junior or Pro (Semi) team here to help to keep our hopes of our Youth Hockey Program to get back to where it was before we had lost the support of former teams. We have a local group that is very active in getting a rink built for our kids, but until we can get the interest of hockey back in the minds of the general public we are dead in the water.

Thanks for your vote of confidence and we will try our damndest, AGAIN, to make hockey work here in Topeka!

Topeka was one of the biggest flops in the CHL (twice)....not sure how starting a NAHL team will remedy that.

Texarkana was worse.

But yes, when Horn Chen touches your team, look out.

The Tarantulas were the worse run team I've ever seen. They had no intention on keeping them around for more than a year.

Chen was usuing Topeka to get equipment for his Bankrupt Wichita team.

The Scarecrows couldn't died when Butch Johnson moved them to the Juniors. Topeka thought we were a CHL town. The city didn't embrace it.

I think they will this time.

Archived