Rugby Super 14 2007 Concepts

Gazzzaf

Not a huge fan of the Chiefs and Highlanders sets. The Chiefs need more of the red and yellow in the jersey itself, and the Highlanders needs less of that dark red/maroon shade.

Like the simple designs for the Australian teams.

The South Africans seem to lack an identity apart from Bulls and Sharks but that's been a problem with the teams real identities since SA moved to regional teams a few years back.

liverpool-1.png

i quite like the highlanders with maroon. the highlanders are made up principly of the two major southmost unions. otago (blue and gold) and southland (maroon gold and white).

when the teams originally were created, the colour scemes owed more to the feeder unions. hurricanes had a bit more blue (nelson), the blues had a home kit that was 60% red and white (i guess north harbour) and the crudasers used a bit more white which gave them more of a distinction from the cheifs who have always just used the black, red and gold of waikato & taranaki (in this situation, the green and white of manawatu might have been a bit of overkill)

i agree the sa teams seem a bit week. they were the last county to more to a franchise system from provincial teams and their whole system is still a bit of a mess. eg:

natal sharks/ coastal sharks/ sharks

western province (who replaced the free state cheetahs now the cheetahs)/ western stormers/ stormers

northern transvaal/ blue bulls/ bulls

etc etc etc.

with this in mind, im making a set of super 14 jersesy that aknowlege the provincial roots of each franchise.

please correct me if im wrong but these are the regional franchises and their respective main feeders.

AUSTRALIA:

new south wales waratahs : sydney

queensland reds : brisbane

act (australian capital territory) brumbies : canberra

western force (western australia) : perth

NEW ZEALAND

blues (auckland/ northland/ harbour) :auckland

crusaders (christchurch/ nelson/ marlborough/ tasman) : christchurch

cheifs (waikato/ counties/ bay of plenty/ king country) : hamilton/rotorua

highlanders (otago/ southland/ n otoago) : dunedin/ invercargill

hurricanes (wellington/ manawatu/ hawkes bay/ taranaki) : wellington

SOUTH AFRICA

bulls: (norther transvaal): pretoria

cheetahs: (free state): bloemfontein

sharks: (natal): durban

lions: (guateng): johannesburgh

stormers: (western province): cape town

please correct me if im wrong but these are the regional franchises and their respective main feeders.

AUSTRALIA:

new south wales waratahs : sydney

queensland reds : brisbane

act (australian capital territory) brumbies : canberra

western force (western australia) : perth

More like:

ACT : Sydney/Brisbane leftovers

Western force: even worse sydney/brisbane leftovers plus Matt Giteau

liverpool-1.png

ACT also draws from a local source as well. Matt Giteau may have been born in Sydney but he spent significant time in Canberra to be considered a local (for more proof, his father was Ron Giteau, a former Raiders captain). George Gregan has also lived in Canberra nealry all of his life. I don't know a whole heap about this subject and I'm probably in over my head here.

As Fraser said, the Highlanders' maroon comes from one of their feeder clubs and I used it in a similar fashion to the Blues with dark stripes that don't clash with the palyer number.

I was stuck with the Chiefs. I think that their colour scheme requires something modern but simplistic. I've probably gone too simplistic there and it appears to be more of an All Blacks look-a-like.

South Africa are a horror to design for, their franchise system is a mess simply because they set themselves up for a repechage system. Even researching the teams ends up with me getting confused with the Central Cheetahs and Free State Cheetahs or the Bulls and the Blue Bulls and so on... Their logos are by far the worst in the comp (Australia's being the best and NZ seeming to have a very generic bunch indeed). I don't really know what to do with the SA teams anyway. I thought to go with some similar striping patterns to their provincial sides. Any ideas?

sig.png

Archived