Your sports road trip stories

spyboy1

Well since the closest NCAA University to me is UMaine and I'm crazy about NCAA sports, me and my dad drive 6 hours to Orono every year to catch one of the Black Bears' football games. This year we might head down to BC depending on the ole football schedule.

In 2003 or 2004(can't remember which year) My brother, dad, and I went down to Kentucky Speedway for the Busch Series race. We got on eof those radio scanners where you can hear the drivers' pit crews talking. My dad kept insisting that we program Bobby Hamilton Jr's team in there for some reason. And then Hamilton Jr won the race. Psychic, I know.

In December 1999 My brother, dad and I went up to Cleveland for the Gatorade Shootout. The UC Bearcats were playing Gonzaga. It was Kenyon Martins senior year, the team was awesome. On the way up, I don't know how the whole thing escalated but, I remember my dad yelling out the window at some guy on the highway and he reached in his back seat(going about 100mph) and threw a frozen sub at our car, and hit it! We were pissed but you gotta admit that was a helluva throw!

We went to the same thins in 2002(Steve logan's senior year), UC was playing Bowling Green. The Hooters girls sat behind us for about 10 minutes. We stayed a little while for the next game. Kent State vs Cleveland State. We got to see Antonio Gates play, he was pretty good.

The past 2 years we went to the Brickyard 400 and saw the two most hated drivers by my brother and I win, Jimmie Johnson and Tony Stewart.

This past summer we went to Milwaukee to see my dad(he worked up there for a while Monday to Thursday)

We went to a Reds-Brewers game and saw the first running of the Chorizo sausage. We were in the fourth row from the front right behind the plate. We were on TV a couple times throughout the game, and on Sportscenter for two seconds during the Sausage run. We got there early enoung for Reds BP and I got autographs from David Ross and Chris Denorfia, I was 10 seconds away from getting an autograph from Rich Aurilia but he went into the dugout.

Three quickies:

1984 - Drove by myself for spring training from Wisconsin to Las Vegas (where the Brewers played the Padres in a game) and then to Phoenix (where the Brewers played the Indians at Sun City.)

2002 - My wife and I drove to Toronto and saw the Blue Jays play the Giants - no Barry Bonds homers, but some of the shots the jerk hit against the SkyDome Hotel were just unbelievable.

And my favorite:

1981 - My mom and I went to Chicago, my only trip (so far) to Wrigley. The day before, we went to Arlington Park and I won both the daily double and quinella, which pretty much paid for the trip. That night, I stopped at a Walgreens and found a coupon for 2-for-1 tickets for the next day, so we splurged and got box seats for the Cubs and Mets.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Archived